• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Wildlife Pond Project

Meanwhile I’m struggling to find the right place for the solar fountain that just doesn’t seem to have a place in the pond but once removed I really miss the sound of the drops on water. Then came the gigantic plastic plant pot, free cast off from my wife’s office that was begging to be filled with water!
It was duly filled and the pump added but the rose spray I like the sound of is not controllable enough to prevent the pump emptying the pot with overspray in a few hours so for the moment I’ve fashioned a temporary lid to keep the water in but the sound lacks,,,something! I also doubt very many plants would live in the pot except maybe mosses and oxygenators?
Ramp added for athletic wildlife to crawl out but I doubt I’ll keep this arrangement long…!

I might yet link the pot or a lined oak half barrel to the pond (the original intention) but having rigged this up it looks a bit twee.

I’m sure inspiration is just around the corner 😂

Attachments

• IMG_8783.jpeg
    IMG_8783.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8784.jpeg
    IMG_8784.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 127
Possible Southern Hawker at the pond today. Also note the vast amount of birch tree seeds we get at this time of year. I might scoop some but they do provide cover and I suppose will rot down eventually and provide ferts

Attachments

• IMG_9242.jpeg
    IMG_9242.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9238.jpeg
    IMG_9238.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
Hi all,
yes I think a male, I was hoping it was a female and would lay eggs but saw somewhere they are browner.
You tend to see a lot more males, they are defending a territory, while the females are much less visible laying eggs etc.

I hadn't actually realised that Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea) had got that far north, but <"iNaturalist"> has quite a few observations.

Southern_HawkerNEScotland.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Stunning insect.
They certainly are, and also one that a lot of people will have in <"their garden pond">, however small.

They are relatively easy to identify <"Identifying Spotty Hawker Dragonfly Species - British Dragonfly Society">, none of the other Hawker Dragonflies are big and green with two prominent "head-lamp" yellow marks on the the thorax (just behind the head) <"Southern Hawker (Aeshna cyanea)">.

It was the "head-lamp" markings (in @Simmo's first picture) that allow a definitive ID.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Yes Darrel, I was surprised to get it up here but now see it’s found as far North as southern Scandanavia. Bit of a misnomer - when taken at face value anyway, but the common hawker is found further north, maybe explains it?
I watched it a while and think now it was hunting, quartering the water and pond edges a bit like a barn owl might.
Amazing things.
Cheers

Hi all,
Bit of a misnomer - when taken at face value anyway, but the common hawker is found further north, maybe explains it?
Yes, just a measure of population movement with global climatic change. "Common Hawker" is entirely northern now, although the name goes back to Linnaeus, so "Common" may have always referred to S. Sweden.

"Southern Hawker" is now also in the north and "Migrant Hawker" is now a common resident of the southern UK.
I watched it a while and think now it was hunting, quartering the water and pond edges a bit like a barn owl might.
Definitely defending a territory.

cheers Darrel

Looking a lot more natural for some wind blown detritus, a couple of sticks and the passage of time.

Water mint sending out runners, the other plants all seem to be fine, I’m interested to see how many will survive being frozen solid over winter.

Lots of insect and bird life, had a grey wagtail yesterday, guess it must have visited from the river that’s not too far away.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9308.jpeg
    IMG_9308.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9309.jpeg
    IMG_9309.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9310.jpeg
    IMG_9310.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9307.jpeg
    IMG_9307.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 64
Sorry to ask, but is this wise?
I understand why, its because the solar pump jet is too high, but I am thinking :
1) Anything that is in or on the timber will be washed into the "pool"
2) Water will (eventually) run or soak the timber and drip off the edge, reducing the entire volume.

I would suggest taking the actual nozzle off or using plastic instead (Bear in mind 2 above)

img_8783-jpeg.jpg

Spring not yet fully sprung for my pond here in chilly N.Scotland, sitting as it does in the shadow of a very large north facing wall 😂 Still, there is life! A lot of stringy algae, but great that the plants have survived the winter and are beginning to show face, the pond was frozen for weeks at a time over winter but the plants have proved to be resilient. Most excitingly, a newt has been spotted and the algae is host to two areas of stringy toad spawn.
Plugged the fountain back in today, keep the O2 levels up, relieved that it’s still working given its budget (ish) price
Of the ferns I planted round the pond last year I reckon about half survived the winter, not bad given the dastardly location.
cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg