• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Wildlife Pond

Strangely enough Corsham has been referred to as <"Cornwall in the Cotswolds">, but both "constantly sunny" and "a lovely sandy beach" might be pushing it a bit.
Indeed it is lovely, let's see how long this lockdown lasts before people start flocking out of London! lol
Years ago I went to Afife (N. of Viana do Castelo), and the ten days I was there it fulfilled all your requirements.
I am originally not far from Viana, lovely place oh I miss Portugal, due to some surgery did not go there last year and had a long trip planned there this summer to both Lisbon and north and everyone knows what happened to those plans!! :(

They are now all potted and in a water trough, I will take a photo tomorrow when the water has cleared I have my next pair of special socks ready
Awesome work and sorry for the hijack ;)

They look much better now but you might not get much out of the smaller ones this year but they will romp away next year. I wouldn't worry too much about their orientation as they will find their way quickly enough.
You will likely need to thin them out a fair bit next year. I had a large lily that I broke up when I built my brothers wildlife pond. I got 5 lumps the size of your smaller/medium bits and have removed 3 of them now, 2 years later, so I can see the waters surface again.

Just taken.
Canna lily's both in flower now the red one was about 1 week behind in flowering.
The second water lily now has a bud just poking out of the water I think its a white one.
The iris plant to the right I got from my parents at the same time as the large water lily, it's just in a basket with pebbles keeping it down at the moment as it was cut off from a larger plant that had no soil as it was so root bound in a pot.
All of the new water lily plants are growing well, got some light algae growing on the plants and pots it just floats off if I rock the baskets, properly due to me using tap water and also there will be a lot of rotting rhizomes in the water.
Going to do a 100% water change and clean the plants off later today.

IMG_20200809_145838.jpg

Looking great. If the new iris is a yellow flag iris then I would keep some control of its growth at the end of each year as it's a vigorous grower and can take over a bit. It's a good plant for moist soil outside the pond, so easy to reuse the plants.

Here's the pond two years later. Some plants have not made it and the ducks come back every year and pull some up.
A hedgehog drinks from the pond in the middle of the night.

IMG_20220722_153806.jpg
IMG_20220722_153947.jpg
IMG_20220722_153824.jpg

And the Lily trough to many leaves for any flowers to show so will be adding a new trough for next year. Only had two flowers so far.

IMG_20220722_154005.jpg

Back