• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will my crypt grow back?

Hi all,

OK, so if even the Hygrophila polysperma isn’t doing well, I have to acknowledge that maybe I’m running a little too lean. :) I’ve attached some pictures from various angles. I am getting new growth, but I’m seeing holes in mostly the older leaves (but some new ones). Questions:
  1. Since it’s a fast-growing plant, is it simply normal to have leaves like this that I need to prune away, or is it a clear deficiency?
  2. If a deficiency, is it obvious which nutrient to increase? Potassium? All of them?
  3. I am using an all-in-one fert at 1X the recommended dosage, so I’m not going out of my way to starve the plants. Is it simply that my floating plants are outcompeting this plant, so I need to dose more?
Appreciate the help, as always.

Attachments

• IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 95
OK, I'm pretty sure I've overlooked something simple to explain why my submerged plants aren't growing: gas exchange. This tank is covered with floaters, and I've intentionally kept surface agitation low to keep both the floaters and the apistos happy. My sponge filter is running at about 10 bubbles/second, and the outlet is protected with a feeding ring to contain the surface agitation to 10x10cm. So that must mean I'm starving my submerged plants of CO2. I will remove the feeding ring and half the floaters. Hopefully that will move the needle. I also have liquid CO2 (Excel) around to spot treat BBA. Maybe I can dose that as well.

My sponge filter is running at about 10 bubbles/second, and the outlet is protected with a feeding ring to contain the surface agitation to 10x10cm.
That's a great idea, even if it's not ideal for the tank in question. :)
For this tank you could use a larger floating ring to contain your floating plants.

Back