• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

will not be on UKAPS as frequently from now on :(

a1Matt

My work has just put in monitoring software to track internet usage. I'm gutted as this means I can no longer surf UKAPS (or check my personal emails) during the day :( :twisted:

So I will still check things out from home, but I tend to shy away from my home PC most nights, as my eyes are already pretty tired from having spent 8 hours behind one during the day.

Just thought I'd post so you know I have not lost heart with things :)

On the bright side at least I found out before I got fired for misuse of my work time ;)

I thought you was a computer whiz - can't you just get past the system? :p

Shame...but that's life eh. :rolleyes:

They've turned off internet usage at work for us a couple of months ago, can only access via my mobile.

They've also tried tightening up access to several of the databases that we need to use resulting in a stoppage of work cause we can't access the info we need.

The stupid thing is the IT guy thinks he's done a great job but he's only written a script for windows to run. To get everything back again we just reboot the computer cancel the script when it box appears and hey presto full access :D

rawr said:
I thought you was a computer whiz - can't you just get past the system? :p

Lets just say that I will definitely be giving it a try ;)
Shame I moved departments, if I was still the network administrator it wouldn't be a problem :mad:

squiggley said:
They've turned off internet usage at work for us a couple of months ago, can only access via my mobile.

They've also tried tightening up access to several of the databases that we need to use resulting in a stoppage of work cause we can't access the info we need.

The stupid thing is the IT guy thinks he's done a great job but he's only written a script for windows to run. To get everything back again we just reboot the computer cancel the script when it box appears and hey presto full access :D

We are not allowed to use our mobiles either! and we lost flexi time a couple of years ago as well.

In my example it is a case of of a few people abusing the system (facebook addicts) and then they come down on everyone. It's a bit sad really.

Good job I am not your IT guy or the script would have run without you even seeing it :p

saintly said:
your here in soul mate....that'll do ;)

awww. thanks Mark :)

btw... I looked up train tickets to get to you for the TGM meet and they aren't too bad. So I'd really like to take you up on your offer of coming up to you on the day before. I'll pm you (and Paulo) one day soon and we can sort out arrangements :D

I'm a student in Manchester and some halls have to use the uni based ISP called Hornet. It blocks any P2P but found that its possible to work around using LogMeIn, however that does involve software installation which you most probably can't do. At school we used to use proxy servers to bypass blocked sites by the school.

a1Matt said:
btw... I looked up train tickets to get to you for the TGM meet and they aren't too bad. So I'd really like to take you up on your offer of coming up to you on the day before. I'll pm you (and Paulo) one day soon and we can sort out arrangements :D

coolies. :D

SteveUK said:
SSH tunneling maybe? Or perhaps remote into your home PC and browse from there? Theres usually a way around things like this :)

Good luck!

I like your style Steve :)
I will eek out of my IT department how they are doing the tracking and then form a plan of attack from there...

at school we have tried everything, various types of safe proxy but eventually word gets out and they block us!

Cheers for all the input everyone.

I wish my internet access was being blocked and not logged\monitored. Then I'd know where I stand... I'd try various tactics and then either get online or not.

I think Steves suggestion of tunnelling is a good bet. I am going to hang fire until I get a look at the mechanism they are logging me by though. Otherwise I have no way of knowing for sure if I have got past it or not. and for that I have to wait until it is officially announced as being in place. Very frustrating!

I've been in jobs at both sides where internet is locked down and others where it's nearly free use.
Whilst I click onto the site most of the day at work, sometimes I do get a bit of boredom from being on the net 24/7 so maybe not having the internet at work could work out for the better.
God knows I couldn't do without bbc news at work, although we found out at the time we could do http://news.bbc.co.uk but not http://www.bbc.co.uk/news!

i don't believe there is much in the way of a simple false monitoring software developed at the moment on open source as ISP would not like that at all.

Now that sucks Matt, being a network admin myself I know how this goes, we are moving towards this type of system too very shortly and depending on the system, with some there isn't much you can do about it.
I have been away recently too but not because of internet monitoring but with a hell of a lot of work lol hate the word deadlines!!!

Back