• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will they fit

Heagney

hey guys
Just wanting a little bit of advice/input on my idea..

65 litre, 60cm long tank. Wanting it heavy planted with a few fish. Can only seem to get 15w fluorescent bulb..

The plan...clean out current tank ( 4 Armano shrimp and 2 snails). I've got John Innes No3 and play sand waiting to be used. Would the following plants fit/be a sensible choice??

Sagittari pusilus x 25
Microsorium Java fern x 5
Echinodorus amazonicus x 5
Wisteria x 5
Cryptocoryne parva x 5
Anubias nana x 1
Anubis barterii x 1
Also something to float but not sure
What yet

No experience using john innes in an aquarium. I have used JBL's aquabasis under Silver sand and had reasonable success with plant growth. The only down side to this is you do get a lot of clouding when trying to re plant anything.
I have just started a new tank and am trying Tropica plant substrate under a fine gravel which was definitely easier to plant and having read about it looks like the Tropica won't cause any clouding during any re planting. We shall see.

I did consider using a specific aquarium substrate but fancied giving the less conventional method a try. See how it goes.
How many tanks do you have at the moment?

Hi Heagney, Way to many plants for a 60cm

Sagittari pusilus x 25---------------5 This spreads by runners and will fill out over time
Microsorium Java fern x 5--------2 Split into three pieces attached to wood or rock this grows into thicker bunches that you can split again. And the leaves have little baby plants on after a time.
Echinodorus amazonicus x 5----0 this plant will outgrow your tank very fast
Wisteria x 5--------------------------1 another plant that gets big but easy to trim back and from the leaves grow baby plants lots
Cryptocoryne parva x 5-----------5 nice low crypt planted in groups spreads by runners
Anubias nana x 1-------------------2or 3 again you can split the plant tie on wood or rock place in a shady place as there a slow grower and the leaves will get algae if out in too muh light
Anubis barterii x 1-----------------2 again split grows bigger than the nana again place in shade

Perfect bud that's exactly why I wanted to ask 1st. I just wanted a small grass like plant to carpet the front and some nice varies plants for mid and rear with a couple on my wood. Anything you would advise with a bit or red or something for a bit of colour variation?

Hi Heagney,

I have two tanks running at the moment.

I too would recommend Aqua-Essentials, i just bought a load of plants from them the other day all of which arrived in great condition and were able to be split into a number of plants. I also was able to ring them before placing my order to make sure they has enough of a particular plant in stock. Handy if you are looking to order a lot of one type of plant.
Think there plants have 25% off at the moment as well.

Perfect guys thank you very much. I'm planning on getting the plants in for next week. Gives me time to get my tank cleaned out etc. I've never used real plants before...is it easy enough to split them and prune back once they grow?

I have looked at loads of plants, easy to grow/take care of etc but all there names still get me a little mixed up haha. It's more the grass like carpet, pissibly a nice miss (not too keen on Java moss) and a floating plant that I'm not sure what to have yet

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-first-iwagumi.39718/

If you go to the above link you will see the grass that I have just used. I bought 8 pots and when separated these covered the bottom of my tank, there was probably around 6 or 7 plants within each pot. I use planting tongs to pull off the rock wool and then just gently pull the plants apart and then trim the roots with some sharp scissors leaving around 2cm of root.
I have only used Java moss in the past and found it ok.
If not try http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/tax...6.html?zenid=d0d61d8ff060d6ac13f70d0c1a8c1415 as looks an interesting alternative.

Echenodorus will take up your whole tank. My tank is 100cm and my plant has already taken over a third pf the back space.

Back