• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will this work?

Fisher2007

So still in the planning stages for my new 220 litre tank whilst I'm waiting for it to be built. I have this fire extinguisher left over from my marine system (2kg see pic) and it's full so thinking of using it. What I don't know though is how long the bottle will last on my tank (I've not used co2 before on freshwater)? And if I'll be able to get it refilled? I seem to remember that when you get a refill they don't actually refill your bottle but instead swap it out for a full one they already have? What I'm worried about is how old this extinguisher is (I don't know and can't see anything on it) and if they'd accept this as a swap (assuming I'm right about how they refill it)?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190928_113218.jpg
    20190928_113218.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
The production date should be punched into the bottle. If its a regular utility extinguisher it also should be checked periodically and recieve a label with the last security check date.

I'm not sure what the criterium is for out of date bottles. Since most of them get sold rather cheaply. It seems they get worthless and discarted as extinguisher. If its out of date, you as owner need to pay for the security checkup before its refilled. That would be different with a rented bottle.

I'm afraid a out off date bottle isn't swapped with a new bottle just paying for the contents.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. Any idea how long a 2kg bottle will last on a tank of 220 litres?

I have no idea.. :) But you can know it the first day its in service. Put it on a weight scale before use. And weigh it again after one cycle. Than you know how much gram is gone. Devide the 2000 gram contents with that and you have the amount of days left. -1

It might last a couple of months depending on flow rate.
If you are in Warrington you could try gas cylinders uk at Haydock. They refill your cylinder while you wait. If the extinguisher is out of date you can pay for a new cylinder (fire extinguisher or pub gas) which has to be retested after 5 years. I haven't used them for a while but they were always reasonable prices.
Cheers
John

It might last a couple of months depending on flow rate.
If you are in Warrington you could try gas cylinders uk at Haydock. They refill your cylinder while you wait. If the extinguisher is out of date you can pay for a new cylinder (fire extinguisher or pub gas) which has to be retested after 5 years. I haven't used them for a while but they were always reasonable prices.
Cheers
John

Appreciate that. Thanks

Back