• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Willow in tanks

mort

Hi all, a friend asked me the other day about using willow in an aquarium. They wanted to specifically grow it emersed, more for the look than any filtration benefits. I've used this for years in my cousins pond filtration but through a slow trickle vegative willow/reed bed.
Now the question they had was does if cause any issues when used in a tank? I'm sure I have seen other use corkscrew willow out of a tank before but they mentioned they read it had bacterial killing properties and therefore wasn't good for the tanks ecosystem. I mentioned I knew the bark has salicylic acid in it as we had to make aspirin in science but wasn't aware it would negatively impact aquarium filtration but wanted to double check before advising him. I did say I wouldn't personally think something so rampant would be easy to keep under control but he still wants to try.

TIA

Thanks Tim, think that was the thread I was thinking of and the one that illustrates how fast it can grow.

As already said it grows like stink,I can't see it doing much in the way of harming the bacteria as I believe it's mostly the bark which does that.
I've never had any problems using crack willow bark as I use the odd little piece in my shrimp tanks instead of catappa,seeing as I have a ready supply at the bottom of the garden.
Sticking the odd piece of willow in to grow is also a great way to deal with green water blooms in tanks.

Back