• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

willow / twisted willow branch

graphictart

Seedling
Hi all,

This is more of a "can I / can't I" kinda question.
I have seen several posts on the web regarding willow branches added to the tank for the removal of algae blooms. I quite like the look of willow and twisted willow branches in the fishtank, kinda looks like roots. Is it safe to keep them as decoration?

I realise that most "greenwood" is unsafe due to toxins and sap leaching out. Has anyone tried this?

All help appreciated

John

I think you'd be fine, although I've never used it myself. Willow is commonly grown near/over ponds, and I've never seen any advice not to plant them there because of poisons.

The references to helping against algae are about living willow shoots growing in the tank water.

I'm guessing you want to add dead shoots, is that right?

Keep us updated if you try them out.

Mark

I've taken half a dozen cuttings between 6" and 8" from my neighbours tree, shhhh! don't tell him, he's a big bugger.
Anyway I have stripped off the leaves and bound them all together at one end in a "fan" shape and because they are all twisted it kinda gives the effect of a root mass. They are all about the same diameter as a pencil with little buds every couple of inches (i'm hoping these convert to some kind of live root, I know bugger all about trees). I have noticed a fluffy cap forming on the cut ends, i'm hoping that will just seal them.

I only have Caridina Japonica in there at the moment and i'm monitoring water quality.
If this goes ok I'll post some images for anyone who is interested?

Does anyone have Alan Titchmarsh's phone number? :lol:

Regards

John

graphictart said:
I've taken half a dozen cuttings between 6" and 8" from my neighbours tree, shhhh! don't tell him, he's a big bugger.
Anyway I have stripped off the leaves and bound them all together at one end in a "fan" shape and because they are all twisted it kinda gives the effect of a root mass. They are all about the same diameter as a pencil with little buds every couple of inches (i'm hoping these convert to some kind of live root, I know bugger all about trees). I have noticed a fluffy cap forming on the cut ends, i'm hoping that will just seal them.

I only have Caridina Japonica in there at the moment and i'm monitoring water quality.
If this goes ok I'll post some images for anyone who is interested?

Does anyone have Alan Titchmarsh's phone number? :lol:

Regards

John

Fantastic stuff. This is something I have thought about in the past but never had the nerve to try. I'd definitely appreciate any further updates and pics.

Willows will form aquatic roots and trees grown near lakes/ponds will drink alot of water and have a root system beyond the size of the tree canopy (hence advising against planting near houses as they can demolish your foundations!). I don't know about what it would do to the tank, but all I would say is that they will need a dormant period (a winter) otherwise it will keep growing and growing and will become weaker and weaker (even tropical and evergreen plants need a dormant period)Don't forget it will eventually outgrow your tank and I expect you may have to grow a succession of plants.
If you were taking ordinary cuttings of willow (which will root readily) then you would cut the shoot under a node (where the leaf comes out), remove the leaves an inch or so up the stem and push it into the soil. To root them in water would result in a weak root system and thus a weak tree.
Hope this helps (tho I'm not sure how you can relate it to growing in a tank)!

Hi all,
Thanks for all the info guys and gals. Just a quick update.

The twisted willow branches have been in there for a week now and don’t look any different apart from little round "fluffy" semi-transparent caps that have formed on the ends where the cut was made on each branch.
(I've just added 3 ottos to see what they make of it)

* * * just found out you can use vine roots (grapes) for a simillar effect although its a bit hit and miss with rotting and some people report a white slimy fungas forming over the wood* * *

I have not seen any potential new growth extending from any of the branches either. My amano's climb all over it, (like monkey's in a tree, the desired effect) My Apple snails groom the branches hourly and things are looking good, so far. No pictures as yet because the rest of the tank is not up to scratch.

Regards John

would love to see a pic... if poss

;)

C

Quick update:

Nearly three weeks now.
Willow branches still in there; I have wrapped java moss around them now. The branches are starting to lose the "fluffy" end caps.
I am however getting an "oily" appearance on the top of the water; I 'm assuming that it’s coming from these branches breaking down slowly? Time will tell.

Pics maybe when I can sort camera out.

John

Back