• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Thanks guys...
@Manu, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet exactly, probably not the same as before maybe something with a large lump of manzi with emergent growth.
@Ryan, the cabinet is from IKEA it's from the Besta range. It pretty sturdy, but it's going to need strengthening, hence the modifications I mentioned.

My big lump of manzi...I'm determined to try and do something with this, maybe sitting on Grey Pillar Rock with a few roots emerging here and there. The top will be out of the water perfect for emersed growth.
25487662574_4ff4f44fb1_k.jpg

Thanks Iain. I think you maybe right about that, on all counts...I'll give it a go anyway, there's always a plan 'B' if I can't get it to gel or sink.

Finally got around to strengthening the cabinet to take the additional load of a tank full of water.
I've attached extra cabinet shelves (available separately) to the back to stop it parallelograming...placed in the middle of the back so it's easy to hole saw access for electric cables etc either top or bottom.
And I've cut panels from cheap kitchen doors to add extra support to the cabinet insides to stop them bowing...don't you just love "no nails":)

26125608271_d257a4145f_b.jpg
26191911015_b7da7c5c95_b.jpg

Not quite just yet...just ordered a hole saw and desk grommets to drill and cloak the side for pipe access (will post a couple of pics of how not to do it). hopefully I can get it sorted in the next couple of days and then...the best bit scaping:D

P.S. whatever did we do without no nails...and kitchen towel and lots of other stuff we take for granted now?

Troi...this is amazing mate...:)...you are turning into such a tease;):lol:....i can't wait to see the progress...
Thanks Faizal...I think:p
In the old days, Nails and cotton towels :lol:
Ahh the old days...:joyful:
nice one tim. using the shelf as extra support. I always done the same thing. work great
Thanks Ryan...its minimum effort maximum gain, the shelves are a good choice 'cause they're already manufactured to fit exactly.
The Cheap kitchen cabinet doors inside though are a different storey. I cut them a few mm too big by mistake so about an hours furious sanding ensued before they would fit. The upside is they're a very snug fit and so should offer max support.

Back