Wine Red shrimp £1200 each???!!!

aquaticmaniac

I'm not sure if this is a mistake. I think I saw these going for 300 quid on a Chinese site (google translated it from Chinese, anyway). If you factor in shipping, customs duties, etc., I believe it. That's still quite a lot of money, and there's no doubt there's a bit of a racket in the aquatic hobby, as there is in anything.

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
No mistakes.

Shrimp are big business and are getting bigger. The Dec PFK had a superb article on the newest varieties - some are mind-blowing! Worth £1,200+ though?

To the customer, I guess they're worth what they are willing to pay.

SSS-Grade crystal red shrimp can command hundreds of pounds each.

An Arowana has been sold for £300,000 before now.... :woot:

a1Matt

I reckon it is a marketing ploy...

If I tell you that I have shrimp for £3, £5, £10, £20 you will look at them and say. hmmm that £20 is a bit steep.
If I say I have shrimp for £3, £5, £10, £20, £50 and £100, then the £20 shrimp look quite reasonable.

Luke - I agree £12 is expensive :)

samc

i also agree and i wouldnt pay over £12.

it also depends how you look at it. if you are very confident on looking after them and breeding them then its not all bad :D

aquaticmaniac

FishBeast said:
I think if I liked the look of those shrimp I would still probably settle for crystal red shrimp. Like come on you could probably get an African Filter shrimp for less than that!

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... ter+shrimp
I think African Filter shrimp are far more interesting than a shrimp for its colour. (Although I'm sure a lot of work went into those wine reds.) I have a friend back in the States who got his first African Filter for $10 or so.

mr. luke

Not sure how it came up but giant african fans are anything from £8-£14 normaly, and are a lot easire to care for than crs as long as you can provide heaps of flow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gill Super crystal red 2 bars Inverts 4
M Fire red shrimp deaths Inverts 2
Susanna neocardina shrimp varieties Inverts 1
EA James A few shrimp questions Inverts 7
Aqua sobriquet Berried Shrimp Inverts 1
Angelfishguy99 Cherry Shrimp Water Inverts 4