• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Winter period for plants

Hi all,

I have a channa (snakehead) that obviously requires a winter period, during this time the temperature is around 17/18 degrees possibly lower at night and the lights are only on for 5 hrs. Compared to the 24ish degrees and 7hrs (plus natural light from sunrise) it’s at currently.

So the question is should I reduce fert and tab dosing frequency or all together during the wintering time which lasts around 3 months. Most plants I have are capable of lower temps (I think), I did loose amazon frogbit that was in there last winter, but the hornwort I had seemed to thrive.

Current plants-

vallisneria gigantea
potamogeton gayi
hydrocotle leucocephala
hygrophila siamensi, and polysperma
Riccia fluitans
Salvinia Natans

Russ

Hi all,
but the hornwort I had seemed to thrive.
Hornwort (Ceratophyllym demersum) and Riccia fluitans are UK natives. Fontinalis antipyretica is another one and enjoys a cooler winter .

Marcel @zozo has tried a few plants in his outside set-ups., including <"Potamogeton gayii">.

@Mick.Dk may be your best source of information on winter hardiness.

cheers Darrel

Yup still have Potamgeteon gayii in the garden, it survives mild winters with ease... Lilaleopsis brasiliensis and Myriophyllum aquaticum (Red stem aka M. brasiliensis) also.

Other plants that might survive as long as the roots do not freeze are about all Cyperus sp. and a few Echinodurus - Cordifolius, Uruguaensis and the cultivar Kleiner Bär, could be some other cultivars could do the same if it contains a strain from one of the above.

Brazilian frogbit and Salvinia natans are very temp sensitive and struggle bellow 20°C...

The <flowgrow plant database> has a search filter to find plants that might survive mild European winters. :)

The vallis and salvinia should do ok as well. I've had salvinia still looking ok on my outside pond in late November and it's grown all winter in my temperate white cloud minnow tank, that's the same temperature as yours in winter.

I think reducing ferts is the best option if you are still seeing active growth. I have lots of emergent growth which complicates things a little as they rapidly grow throughout the year but stifle the underwater growth a little. If you wanted to go without dosing then you could monitor the growth of your salvinia, like using the duckweed index.

You guys on here really are a foutian of knowledge, looks like I'm off to some research on your suggestions.. Thanks

Back