• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Winter water change

gcodrutv

Hi all,
I know is still summer, but winter is not far away.
My current setup (320l heavy planted tank) has dedicated cold water feed and drain. Also the water change is in the process of been fully automated (still work in progress for the last 6 months :nailbiting::lurking: ).
I was looking for a solution to raise the mains water temperature close to tank temperature (25 degree Celsius). During the winter time, the mains water can drop close to 10 degree.
Because of the layout, I don't have a hot water near the tank and using a big bucket is out of the question. The wife has strict rules when is about the tank.
Ideally would be some sort of electrical heater that can add 10 degree to tap water. The flow is about 0.5l/min. The water is filtered via HMA 4 stage carbon filter.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My current setup (320l heavy planted tank)
The flow is about 0.5l/min.

so about 10% WC per hour, I would just make sure I had enough heating in the tank to cover the water needing heating up, you already have enough if the room stays pretty warm during winter.

I was thinking, once I completely get rid of the BBA, to reduce the water change to 10-15% every 2-3 days. This way, should have a minimum impact on the overall temp.
At the moment, I drain about 150l and add fresh water from the mains. This is causing the temperature to drop from 26 to 22 degree. And is summer. In the winter will be a bigger drop. In february the tap water was 16 degrees.

Depending on your fish stock could you not drop your tank Temperature lower say 22/23 that would give you less impact on the cooler water change
This is infact what i have just done but i have a 200ltr water storage tank under my tank which is mains fed so i fill add declorinator and leave for 2 to 3 days so its at room temperature then pump it up to the display i also use this for daily topups just flick the switch

Back