• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Without Foundation - James Maslin

Without Foundation has been up and running for 3 months now, and while I've had a few problems with BBA and gassing the livestock, things are going great :lol:

Here's a quick handheld pic:

2009_06230001.jpg

The blyxa is starting to overpower the scape imo, but I'm living with it for as long as possible... I also added some fast growing stems the absorb excess nutrients and balance things out. I personally like the stems, but as they don't fit the concept of the layout, they wont stay.

I'm wanting to do something else now, so how long this will exist I have no idea.

Opinions on the blyxa and stems is very welcome!!!

- James

I'd keep them both mate and let the scape evolve, i'm a massive fan of letting a tank take it's own route. I think it looks much better now, the stems look great and if you trim them well they could make the scape as the match so well with the "stones". The blyxa does a great job of making a nice transition so if you can give it some careful pruning here and there you could keep it going for a long long time. Nice work.

Like Dan, I love seeing a tank evolve. I think the stems can work, although the thing that I noticed is that some more transition between the Stems/blyxa/foreground would look better but that'll probably come in time. I love the algae on the bricks too. ;)

It is nice to see an update for this tank 8)

My two pence...

The stems do not work for me.
I'm liking the blyxa a lot :)

Thanks guys :)

The stems aren't actually planted - they're just wedged in behind the blyxa... I keep having to reposition them which is why they look a little messy. These are cuttings from Mark's MA scape, but sadly they don't seem to be keeping their red colour, which is a shame as they do match the bricks quite well.

I too like to see a tank evolve, which is why I named my previous 'scape Evolution :lol: So the stems will stay for now, but I'm really itching to do something, err, well, more normal before I start work on my Don Brautigam inspired 'scape (Andy will understand this one I'm sure!) :lol:

George, I did consider moss on the bricks, but remembering the mess it made of my lawn in Evolution, I decided against it.

George Farmer said:
Try dosing less nitrogen and you may get the red in the Rotala. Watch out for other defs, of course.

IME that dont work. i managed to get it red with high Nitrogen dosing. i'm almost certain it's a trimming and lighting connection.

every time i've grown it it gets redder each trim. in effect james is re setting plants growth by putting it in new water. this is all guess work BTW :lol:

looks cool matey, i prefer it without the stems though.

Ooo! Very nice James! Envy! My tank is nothing but a substrate desert, I'm tempted to sell the 18l of month old Ada in it, I'm that poor!

Wow, this has matured real nice and I like the overgrown look - the flowing just adds to the overall feel.

Super-healthy growth! Nice photography and post-production work too.

Interesting on the difference between the two drop checkers. Do they look so different in the flesh?

I love the embers. The orange contrasts beautifully with the vivid greens.

Nice work, James. I'm glad I blogged this tank. Some folk just didn't get it, which makes it even better IMHO.

Thanks guys :)

George, the drop checkers do look slightly different because they were filled at different times after one fell off and lost its content :lol: I move them around constantly too :crazy:

I'm a bit disappointed I lost the red of the rotala, but we can't win 'em all.

Few more randomly selected photos from photobucket...

2009_08040005.jpg

2009_08040029.jpg

2009_08040030.jpg

2009_08040020.jpg

2009_08040044.jpg

2009_08040046.jpg

2009_08040047.jpg

2009_08040048.jpg

Thanks again for all your comments :)

Back