• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Witnessing a Natural Death???

AndyOx said:
Just a quick reply, it is nitrites that suffocate fish NOT nitrates. Nitrites are for fish what carbon monoxide is for us in terms of oxygen transportation :)
Good luck with the ram tho

Well, nitrite should not really be the issue, since there was none in the aquarium; where there is a nitrite problem, there is nearly always an ammonia issue too (from experience) and the Total Ammonia was 0 ppm. I always try to match up fish behaviour with what the test kit tells me and every time I notice a particular fish or fishes are not as sociable or have a lack of appetite, one of my test kits will have the answer.

It would appear that the nitrates were very high. The people based at my LFS (Wharf Aquatics) do seem to believe that nitrate in high concentrations can cause suffocation and I do remember coming across a search find on Google which reaffirmed this fact.

In my opinion, either high nitrates or high co2 were to blame.

Btw, the GBR is back to normal now thankfully :thumbup:

Back