• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wood for tank

Ed Seeley

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some wood to look like roots in my tank. I've seen the Redmoor wood AE have but Richard's only got medium and big bits left and it seems a lot when I'm going to chop them up!
I've found this site, http://www.anvil-art.co.uk/collectionprice.htm that seems to have some nice looking pieces, but will they be ok for a tank do you think? They are all driftwood and have some nice looking bits. What do you reckon or has anyone got any better sources of thin twisty wood?

Not sure if you're looking for mail order only,but if you can get down to Gloucestershire then Aquatic Habitat and Aquajardin both have some in.

The piece in my tank was from Aquajardin and cost £15.

fishtank8august07015xh1.jpg

Thanks Jayne. Not ruling out LFS, in fact just been to my nearest good one and came up empty. They have huge roots, but no intricate thin ones. Gloucestershire might be a bit far for me to come from Nottingham though....

Well just looking around the house and I've 'found' some very thin branches that I believe came from IKEA as decorations in flower arrangements! They are willow branches and very dry and dead. Useable do you reckon? I'm going to stick them in to soak for a while and I'm sure 5 won't be missed....

If you get your self up to a mountain, granted not that easy, and look for dead heather wood, very very cool looking wood, very branchy/root like, of all thickness. I have quite a bit, but havnt used any yet. Im not sure if it will be ok, im hoping it will.

Ill post a pic later tonight when i get in from work.

What do you make of this stuff -

wood1.jpg

31"Length x 8.5"Width x 14"Height

wood2.jpg

22.5"Length x 14"Width x 18.5"Height

Apparently it sinks immediately and cost me £80 delivered, not bad for the size i think, using it in my discus tank

That first piece especially looks very nice. Where was it from?

Also which part of Croydon has bananas growing wild? :D

Yea i think so, like how you see what your buying too

Should be with me this week so will let you know my feedback

They look ace Graham. Have you used some of this wood in any tanks? Heather's a pretty hard wood so I assume it'd be fine for use. I'm just thinking of the small rather knarly small shrubs I've got in my garden and a dead branch of a Japanese maple I need to prune and whether they'd be of any use in a tank. I guess I'll have to put them into soak too and see what happens!

I wouldn't use your Japanese maple as AFAIK these are softwood and have a lot of sap that can run out of them, which is why they're only supposed ot be pruned at certain times of the year.

I wanted to use the branches from two hardy fuschias that I trained into standards (but subsequently died last winter) but was advised not to as well.

Japanese Maples are definitely hardwoods; the whole Acer genus is. They are also relatively slow growing with tough wood. I wouldn't use any wood unless it's had a winter to harden off. I think they'll be as good a choice as any wood, but I'm not too sure on how suitable any recently dead wood will be in a tank to be honest.

I havnt used any of the wood yet. Its very hard and well weatherd, it would be from the top of a mountain. It just need a wire brush going over it, and i cant see why it wont be fine to use, ill keep you all posted when i use it.

Well i got the wood today, and its great stuff

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

that's the layout i was going for and think it has turned out pretty well :)the left pice will sit in the substrate a bit so both pieces will come up at an angle more

That is great wood James. It's going to look great in your tank.
The funniest thing though is the plug tangle behind!!! Just how the area under my tanks used to look!

lol noticed that, must sort it out, those tanks are temporary ones in the garage which is pretty much the same..lol

Back