• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wood/Tree ID?

zozo

Found this yesterday in the woods, a young tree blown over, just the sstem with roots were left, no branches no leaves.. But it's still very fresh and no rot.. Went back today with a saw in my back pack and took it home.

Looking at the bark think it is a young Beech but im not intirely sure. Tho still fresh the wood is relatively hard to the touch.

Can somebody confirm my suspicion this is Beech and if not what it could be?.. KInda plan to maybe use it in a future aquascape.. :)

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

:)

Is there another piece still there you can cut along the length to show the grain pattern?
Also a clear picture of the end of the piece you have cut already might help if you can get one but the cut along length is much easier. ;)
Oh also no 'rotten' looking leaves hanging around, I see there are a couple in the picture - they would help heaps if there was a concentration of a particular shape where you found the tree; maybe under the Ivy?

Is there another piece still there you can cut along the length to show the grain pattern?

The Ivy is in my back yard.. :) I went back this morning with a small hand saw, kinda looked rediculous standing there patiently sawing with a baby plinth saw. :lol: Not having an option to fixate it, it took me a while and some sweat to get it off..

The only thing still left there is the rest of the stem, 3 meters long 10cm in diameter.. All branches and twigs were broken off already.. The place i found it was in the middle of a bunch of other and bigger trees still standing. Leaf litter all over the place with all kinds of leaves, mainly Oak and Beach.

I made it to long anyway so this might help..

DSC_0478.JPG

DSC_0479.JPG

DSC_0480.JPG

It's pretty tough wood to saw..

Thanks..

Looks like a prunus or perhaps birch

When i look at my Hedelfinger Cherry in the garden it indeed looks like a Prunus.. Also have a Cherry wood table in the kitchen even the grain looks kinda simmular. But maybe a lot of wood does? It all throws me off.. :)

kinda looked rediculous standing there patiently sawing with a baby plinth saw
Haha
mainly Oak
I'd say very confidently it's not Oak! :pompus:

:sorry: Looking at everything I'd say it could quite well be Beech, especially if there are leaves present where you found it but there are other things it could easily be too.
My opinion is it's not a Cherry/Prunus looking at the root structure; I could quite well be wrong though.o_O

The forest contains mainly Oak (this isn't i saw that) Beech, poplar and willows, here and there a prunus.. And some other trees i have to look twice to find out what they are. :) But the ones mentioned are dominant there.. The piece lay on a forest floor littered with years of litter, also some old dried cherries i've seen.

Last time i saw one and took pictures of a fallen cherry in that forrest was this one.. Looked it up again, but also not realy of help wasn't taking pictures of the tree itself.. :).
VF5opnB.jpg

K9w0RXg.jpg

alCcvHA.jpg

Also seen still living trees with simmular bark standing, but since it is still winter i see no leaves.. I might wait to the spring, if it is cherry i see the blossoms soon enough.

Definitely Cherry (Prunus spp.) for me.

I also thought it could be one.. :)

But now looking again at the last pictures i definitively know that was a Cherry and i do see simmularities.. Smooth and rough bark combined and those elliptical horizontal marking on the smooth bark.

Then i also settle for Cherry.. :) Even if it would be Beech or Birch as far as i know all of them can be used in aqaurium anyway.

Thanks for the answers all..:thumbup: a great help as always..

+ one for cherry. I have been employed as a "nature conserver" (or whaterver it is called) so I've cut down my share of unvanted birch and cherry *s*. Defenitely not beech.

Another, better view after cleaning it up.. :) It's an intruiging piece..
DSC_0486.JPG

I planning to soak it for a while, to see what the bark does. It wood be a pitty to take the bark off it looks nice.. The wood itslef is already pretty dry it most have been on the forrest floor for over a year i guess.

DSC_0487.JPG

The tank it is going to be in is 35cm hieght, thi spiece is 40cm, it might leave it like that sticking out.. I try to hollow out the top, rough it up a little, so i can put substrate and an emmersed plant in it.

DSC_0488.JPG

I also leave that moss on during the soaking periode.. See what it does.. It's moss for free so why not.. :)

If you keep it in this position, i would make a horizontal cut just above the mos line, shallow it out a bit and put some moss or HC on it:)

It's going to stand in this aqaurium.. The one with the planted background sump.
dsc_0006-jpg.jpg

But the tank is nolonger in my home.. I have to fit and see how it works out in this dimension and what position suits the best. The best place i know from this is 1/3 from the right. Maybe lift it a bit more vertical. And maybe need to cut the thick centre root a bit. But for now it's day dreaming, no more cutting till i fitted first.. :) But you are 100% correct the top needs to be cut more horizontal with the water line. Than drill it out and fit some substrate and plant in it.

Indeed a drapping plant like HC.. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back