• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wooden Aquarium

I'm sure you've already seen this, but here you go anyway:

Its an interesting concept, but for the price, work, and risk of getting it wrong, I'd sooner get Clearseal or the like to make me an all glass one.

Off topic, but nice Flagfish. I keep them myself; they're great fish!

Reason why plywood tanks are common in US is due to bigger houses allowing bigger tanks. Not really seen too many plywood builds in UK, and those I have seen tended to be in fish "garden sheds" as opposed to in the house.

Also, I believe plywood, and timber generally, is much cheaper in the USA than the UK. I see DIY projects on the net, like "How I made a (whatever) for under $30", and the wood used would cost about a hundred quid over here! :)

Another American Flag Fish fan here.

Has anyone ever made one?

*raises hand*

My 12 year old 310*80*65 tank is a wooden one. Build it myself after having tested it on a smaller size first.

When I started the project I thought there would be many advantages, mainly cost wise and in weight. However, once finished, I can only say both were fairytales ;)

If I had to name now 1 main advantage, it would be that for me wood gives me at least the feeling of being more flexible. But than again, I have seen people handling glass and creating difficult connections/joints as well.

I just spent an hour searching this forum for a thread I started about my plywood tanks but I just cant find it (perhaps it was on another forum)
Anyhow I have built 20 maybe 30 plywood tanks with glassfiber lining & glass front or glass front & sides.
At one time I was involved in building & installing large aquariums & I always favoured the plywood method but we are talking 4' + tanks & more often 6' or 8'.
However I have also used ply for my own smaller tanks especially for marine set ups when the system required multiple holes drilling for overflows & other pipework.

Could you use water resistant MDF instead of ply wood?

We have stacks of off cuts of MDF at work, I could make a tank for free :)

I made mine from normal MDF from work and bought a sheet too. I just gave it a few of coats of spray paint :)

Was looking at making 4ft long 1ft tall 2ft deep subdivided into 4/5
Sealed with G4
Bondaglass G4 Pond Sealer Clear 500g

Looking for something to use in the dividers to allow water to flow through, any ideas?

Back