• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Woodland Troll - Take Four

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
I was considering tacking this scape on the back end of NatureScape, after all I'm reusing a lot of the plants. However, it's developed in to something quite different and I'm going to add more cryps.

Be0d7lHCQAAI7JU?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpg

As I was working with the Azalea root I started to see faces in it, and arms and legs, but not Salvadore Dali like Marcel (@zozo) :rolleyes:, rather someone I hadn't thought about in many years...Raggety, Rupert the Bears mischievous woodland troll friend, hence the name I've given the scape "Woodland Troll"; Raggety is a bit oblique.

I'm a big fan of negative space and wanted to keep the scape as open and simple as possible. It's still a work in progress but this is the main bones of it...

49537500666_782812c7d0_b.jpg

Haha, you got the bug too... :lol: I see it also. The spooky tentacle monster read to snatch you and bite your head off.

Let the Saga begin, this is going to be an interesting scape. :cool:

Also a perfect object for the <om nom nom> meme

49537500666_782812c7d0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Should be very interesting, sure you will make it look amazing.

Looking forward to this one
Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks @DeepMetropolis and @Deano3 :)

Had some spare time today so added the AS and the rest of the hardscape, mostly Azalea roots including some finer ones. The main idea is to create a more natural look and habitat fish will feel safe hanging out in...

49540242642_e3a4c7e36d_b.jpg

Tim

I have fished the mangroves many times at the top of Aust. In saying that the fish do live in the lower mangroves and grab a meal as it swims past. In your Aquascape I would like to see a lot more mix of the fine twiggy pieces in base area up to about one third height even over the rocks eg.
UpOVshfoqRVpvXtJTDYpOk4yNJt5C_Xkae3jxWVqdpo83Hgg&s.jpg

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

The pieces of root you added over the rocks look very nice. :) As Keith mentioned, much more natural. That's actually what i always miss in most scapes with spider wood. Most people put it upside down in the tank, the trunk in the substrate and the roots sticking up. But that's just me nitpicking about meaningless little facts because it still can look beautiful and that's the main goal.

The pieces of root you added over the rocks look very nice. :) As Keith mentioned, much more natural. That's actually what i always miss in most scapes with spider wood. Most people put it upside down in the tank, the trunk in the substrate and the roots sticking up. But that's just me nitpicking about meaningless little facts because it still can look beautiful and that's the main goal.
Thanks Marcel :) I guess, some scapes can be very formulaic my own included, which is fine. I like to try new ideas out even if they're just new to me. Problem is they don't always work out that well. But I'm fairly happy with this scape and can pretty much visualise how it's going to look planted. However, why is it that I can never find the plants I want when I need them? Everyone seems sold out :rolleyes:

I've the epiphytes I need from the last scape, but I wanted to plant a lawn of Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis and Cryptocoryne parva, neither seems easy to come by in vitro and the quantities it need them in. I might have to go with an alternative of Eleocharis acicularis 'mini'. The mid ground plants I want, Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii' and Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Green' I can get pretty much anywhere. Stem plants I'm hoping to plant are Rotala colorata or R. Gia Lai / H'Ra and Myriophyllium Guyana.

I actually have no idea what the Brexit means for you guys, does that mean you pay extra VAT if you order anything outside UK now?
If not, i can really suggest having a look here.
https://www.aquarium-planten.com/

I've seen UK prices on the plants and i find them awfully expensive compared to this. I know they ship to UK, but do not know the PP. I thought it was €14,- but if you spend over €40,- you get €5.50 discount on PP.

The plants are always top quality and a fair amount. I guess if you need a bunch you easily get to €40,-

For example the average UK price for a pot C. parva is GBP 4.95 against € 2.60
https://www.aquarium-planten.com/shop/5/cryptocoryne/13/cryptocoryne-parva/1761
That's 2 for the price of 1. :)

I guess so.. :) I assume you prefer invitro to get more bang for your buck with those prices. But it might brake even getting twice the amount potted for the same price. Actually a tad more gbp 5 = € 6,- then everagely €2.60 a pot, with 15 pots you already break even at the PP.

Transition wise i personally never had issues with C. parva nor with L. brasilliensis potted. I see for now this shop is sold out with L. brasilliensis, but have it regularly in stock. :)

Tim
Old
49540242642_e3a4c7e36d_b.jpg

New
49543150822_2e36835d61_b.jpg

The twiggy pieces on the rocks is very obvious, less fine pieces on the RH side of the trunk, a medium piece on the LH of a main root also in the centre a few very fine pieces rearranged.

Its looking more natural now.

Keith :wave::greenfinger::greenfinger:

I guess so.. :) I assume you prefer invitro to get more bang for your buck with those prices. But it might brake even getting twice the amount potted for the same price. Actually a tad more gbp 5 = € 6,- then everagely €2.60 a pot, with 15 pots you already break even at the PP.
Thanks again Marcel. In vitro are much better value for money if they transition, but I have an intense dislike of pest snails, so in vitro makes sense from that perspective as well.
However, looking at the scape now, adding the AS has reduced the tension quite considerably, and I'm now considering just using a thin layer of sand, except behind the hardscape.

The twiggy pieces on the rocks is very obvious, less fine pieces on the RH side of the trunk, a medium piece on the LH of a main root also in the centre a few very fine pieces rearranged. Its looking more natural now.
Thanks Keith, I had played around with the twiggy pieces on the rocks but couldn't get it to work very well, so thanks for the pushing me to try it again. Second time I realised that if the twigs followed the direction of natural "joints" in the rock it worked much better; I guess it's pretty much what roots would do anyway.

I've always appreciated your straightforward advice and constructive crtiism, not just that given to me but also to others as well both here on UKAPS and the other forums we help run.

Tim

If you are attempting to get the natural look at the moment the medium is too Aquascaping rather than the natural appeal which could give you another interest.

My suggestion would be pour more substrate 3-4cm deep across the back and in front of the rocks RH side. I would then let nature do its work and let it get its own level. Remembering when planted it will be all covered and if lucky it should give you a natural slope not the flat perfection.

Just an idea from a crazy designer.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

However, looking at the scape now, adding the AS has reduced the tension quite considerably, and I'm now considering just using a thin layer of sand, except behind the hardscape.

I agree... it was quite dramatic before, when you had that gnarled wood, sideways in a bare bottomed tank. I like points where a twig seems to extend out and puncture a layer of pristine sand. The 1500 that Filipe scaped at AG has it and there was another tank posted on here years ago that I always sticks in my head because it did it amazingly too. (Think it was Luis and it was an island scape, if anyone can remember it). Somehow it seems to make the wood look gnarlier and the sand look crisper and as you said, creates that tension.

Last edited:
Tim

If you are attempting to get the natural look at the moment the medium is too Aquascaping rather than the natural appeal which could give you another interest.

My suggestion would be pour more substrate 3-4cm deep across the back and in front of the rocks RH side. I would then let nature do its work and let it get its own level. Remembering when planted it will be all covered and if lucky it should give you a natural slope not the flat perfection.
Just an idea from a crazy designer.Keith:wave::greenfinger:
Thanks Keith, I think I'm trying to get a balance between the two. Your suggestion is a nice idea, and perhaps you're right; I need to go one way or the other. But I've decided to use sand instead.
So yesterday I spent the best part of any spare time I had removing the AS and resetting the scape. It looks much better already. I'm hoping to finish off today although I need to buy some more sand :)

I agree... it was quite dramatic before, when you had that gnarled wood, sideways in a bare bottomed tank. I like points where a twig seems to extend out and puncture a layer of pristine sand. The 1500 that Filipe scaped at AG has it and there was another tank posted on here years ago that I always sticks in my head because it did it amazingly too. (Think it was Luis and it was an island scape, if anyone can remember it). Somehow it seems to make the wood look gnarlier and the sand look crisper and as you said, creates that tension.
It's really what I'd visualised in the first place. I know from experience that adding substrate can dramatically change a scape, and often for the better. However, that's not necessarily the case here.
I'm thinking of using Hugo Kamishi Natural Fine Gravel instead, or I may give ADA La Plata Sand a go, but I think the latter might be a little too white and bright for what I have in mind. I'll take a trip to AG, probably Thursday or Friday and see.

Back