• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Worlds End'.Working the nano magic. 27/8/09

Graeme Edwards

Founder
Well peeps, here is my latest pico. I have called it worlds end. The reasons it is called Worlds End is because all the hard-scape was collected locally to me in the place commonly know as 'Worlds End'. Its a large expanse of moor land with miles of undulating heather with rocky out crops, of which are the spoil and old entrances to what I think are old tin mines.
This scape is more like a small but very interesting valley up through the side of the more land. Its very reminiscent of something you would expect to see in Lord Of The Ring.

So the gear.

Tropica AquaCube 8L.
Wave solaris 11W T5 power compact.
A small hang on the back filter.
Pressurised Co2 at 1 bubble per second.

Substrate is TPN aquacare base ( Because I can, no other reasons, I just wanted to try it out).
TPN+ capsules.
ADA Amazonia powder.

1ml of easycarbo per day.
1ml of TPN every other day.

Water change every 3 days, or there about, im not very strict with this.

Plants.
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Riccardia graeffei
Vesicularia dubyana Xmass
Staurogyne sp
Myraphyliam Mezianum

The substrate system.

The main stones go in.

All the stones are added.

The heather wood is added.

Filling the scape.

The final, finished planted layout.

I have not got any up to date shots of this as yet. But things are going well and I have not had any issues at all.It is around 3 months old now.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.

Re: Edwards's latest 'Worlds End'.

Your hardscape is always second to none, never fails to amaze me!

I haven't seen a lot of your work, but the stuff you do post on here is amazing.

I love the locally sourced hardscape ;) could you use uk native plants? would that be possible???

Myraphyliam Mezianum reminds me of the grass that as kids we used to throw at each other, and it would stick into your clothes. brill

Chris

I don't think Graeme remembers me telling him along time ago, that i thought his work was some of the best i've seen (excluding the king...amano :shh: )

and i still maintain that. great tank mate. :wave:

great build graeme, very nicely done as always! Im gonna have to get mine up and running now and try and scape it but i dont hold much hope of it looking as good as that! Funnily enough after chatting in tgm the other week i collected a load of dead heather from the alwen. its currently drying off and ive sieved some aquasoil to make some powder!

could youremind me what HOB filter lph model you have as I need one for my aquacube :D

It's funny you should mention Lord of the Rings, I failed to recreate Fangorm Forest recently in my latest nano scape, whereas you have hit the nail squarely on the head, that's an incredible acheivement in an 8 litre tank.
Can't wait to see an update.

Cheers James

rawr said:
Your hardscape is always second to none, never fails to amaze me!

I haven't seen a lot of your work, but the stuff you do post on here is amazing.

Thanks mate. I would do more, but its time and money unfortunately that restricts my scaping at home.
chump54 said:
I love the locally sourced hardscape ;) could you use uk native plants? would that be possible???

Myraphyliam Mezianum reminds me of the grass that as kids we used to throw at each other, and it would stick into your clothes. brill

Chris

No doubt you can Chris and no doubt it will get done one day. I have tried in the past, but one major problem I found was introducing beasties into the aquarium, such as the rancid planarian. It does work though. I grew what is essentially Didiplis Diandra ( whipped out of a local pond ) in an aquarium years ago.

saintly said:
I don't think Graeme remembers me telling him along time ago, that i thought his work was some of the best i've seen (excluding the king...amano :shh: )

and i still maintain that. great tank mate. :wave:

I do remember Mark, thanks. It would be nice to think the work I did was to the same standard. Theres thousands of people who are as skilled as Amano, but he came first and has access to some unreal studio photography. If you has only seen how I did mine, what a cafuffle. lol
stuworrall said:
great build graeme, very nicely done as always! Im gonna have to get mine up and running now and try and scape it but i dont hold much hope of it looking as good as that! Funnily enough after chatting in tgm the other week i collected a load of dead heather from the alwen. its currently drying off and ive sieved some aquasoil to make some powder!

could youremind me what HOB filter lph model you have as I need one for my aquacube :D

Nice one stue, do it.
Its an AquaVital, but I forget the model, but its the smallest one available.
If the wood is dead mate, its fine, and it will take up water in no time at all.
James Marshall said:
It's funny you should mention Lord of the Rings, I failed to recreate Fangorm Forest recently in my latest nano scape, whereas you have hit the nail squarely on the head, that's an incredible acheivement in an 8 litre tank.
Can't wait to see an update.

Cheers James

Thanks very much.Have another go James!

skinz180189 said:
That looks great. What fish are (or going) in there?

Ive got a shoal of Rasbora Maculata, so ill pinch a few out of that, around 5 of 7, maybe some cherry shrimp too.
I dont plan to keep this going for ever, its far to much faffing. Perhaps because I am ust to 1800L as a pose to 8l, haha.

Im going away for 2 weeks, so im not sure how it will fair when I get back, but im sure it will be redeemable.

Cheers guys.

Very nice Graeme. If you need any help with it just give me a shout :thumbup:

Hi G man,
Nano scaping at its best,you have that gift for creating the perfect sense of scale in nano setups,
as usual you are the man when it comes to seeing the finished scape before its grown in,
regards john

I've seen the scape and i love it. It's the photography thats blown me away this time, anyone claiming that there camera, lenses and lighting isn't good enough (like me) should take inspiration from this. It's taken with a 350D and a kit lens and his lighting was a stroke of genius. Respect Edwards!

Completely in love with this scape mate. Feckin' awesome! Just the right combination of wood and stones. It doesn't overpower the compact size of the cube. I'm sure Tropica would be glad to have photos of that to advertise these little cubes :clap:

This is a lovely scape Graeme. I am very pleased to see another tank by you. :)

john starkey said:
Hi G man,
Nano scaping at its best,you have that gift for creating the perfect sense of scale in nano setups,
as usual you are the man when it comes to seeing the finished scape before its grown in,
regards john

Thanks old bean, boh!

Mark Webb said:
Very nice Graeme. If you need any help with it just give me a shout :thumbup:

Haha, will do Mark.

George Farmer said:
Another little gem from the master of small (and big) layouts!

Thanks for sharing mate. :D

Cheers bro!

aaronnorth said:
very nice, you are one of the most versatile scapers out there (in terms of tank size!) :D

Thanks Aarron. As far as I am concerned, the same rules apply when working with a big or small tank.

Dan Crawford said:
I've seen the scape and i love it. It's the photography thats blown me away this time, anyone claiming that there camera, lenses and lighting isn't good enough (like me) should take inspiration from this. It's taken with a 350D and a kit lens and his lighting was a stroke of genius. Respect Edwards!

Thanks mate, does this mean im setting to high a bench mark now? :lol:

Tonser said:
Hi Graeme

This little tank is beautiful - another stroke of genius :D The photography is superb too, with really nice clean presentation - what was your lighting secret ?

Tony

Haha, my secret? Well it involved two dinning table chairs, a bit of wood, a white back ground and some editing on Photo Shop. Basically I balanced a 100cm Arcadia unit over the tank as you see it, over exposed my shots to get the bright white, chose center weight metering mode and post edited to add contrast etc. It was a bit of a faff, but it seems ok. I dont know how I will manage on a large tank.

SteveUK said:
Completely in love with this scape mate. Feckin' awesome! Just the right combination of wood and stones. It doesn't overpower the compact size of the cube. I'm sure Tropica would be glad to have photos of that to advertise these little cubes :clap:

Ya never know mate, I should send it off shouldn't I?
Thanks pal.

lljdma06 said:
This is a lovely scape Graeme. I am very pleased to see another tank by you. :)

Im sure you remember my first appearance on TFF, dont you? lol

Thanks for all the kind comments, when I get back off my much needed holiday, ill get some more up to date shots to show you all.

Many thanks.

I forgot to mention, your aquascapes alwas look so natural. I also really like the way you always give commentary on how you've been inspired by nature, or how your aquascape represents a scene from nature - you really stand out as an aquascaper for me because of that.

Aww cheers mate. Ive always set out to do that. I love nature and everything it has to offer. Nature is the best artist to exist, everything ells is just plagiarism.

Im really made up you have picked up on that, thanks very much. :oops: :D

Back