• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worm by Default?

jameson_uk

When getting new fish, quarantine seems to be widely accepted as best practice but a few other places I have seen say you should worm all fish by default (and even as far as treating your tank occasionally)

I guess this might differ by species (several of these resources are Betta specific) and I know some fish are likely to be wild caught etc.

Anyone do this without seeing any signs of needing to?

I think it depends on the retailer- some have really comprehensive quarantine and pre-sale treatment facilities, others not so much... Also, as you say some species are almost certainly wild caught, Carinotetraodon travancoricus comes to mind.

I'm about to do it now. Going to be dosing for mainly internal parasites/worms for my gouramis and rams. Also i have asian rummynose that could do with the preventative treatment.

I don't have a QT tank, but technically half my fish were in QT before i broke down my old tank. But the gouramis and ram have been put in so i'd like to give myself the best chance considering these fish generally are prone to internal stuff.

I plan on dosing praziquantel and dimetridazole in the water column couple weeks apart, also will be feeding food (tetra crisps) soaked in a couple drops of eSHa NDX rather than dose the tank.

Back