• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worm ID

SRP3006

Hi all,

Started a Dry start off yesterday morning and this morning I have noticed little squiggle marks in the condensation on the glass. On closer inspection there is a tiny little white worm. Can anybody help with ID please. Is it something I should worry about. The worm is approx 2mm long.
56825b664b98a9dc34ca6f200263afed.jpg

Hi all, No.

cheers Darrel
Thanks. I was hoping you would reply, do you have any idea where it could have come from?
The soil perhaps.
Could it be causing the pile of sawdust that has come out of my redmoor root? I'm thinking no but what could that be.

Cheers.
Sam.

Hi all,
The soil perhaps.
That would be my guess. There are loads of different small annelid worms in soil, and particularly things like leaf litter. Some are juvenile forms, that will become more obvious <"Earth-worms">, some are always small and white (both <"Grindal and White"> worms were initially cultured from woodland soil).
Could it be causing the pile of sawdust that has come out of my redmoor root? I'm thinking no but what could that be
Almost certainly a <"beetle larvae">, and something <"interesting and tropical">.

cheers Darrel

Almost certainly a <"beetle larvae">, and something <"interesting and tropical">.

cheers Darrel

If i am reading that correct then that's woodworm? I have had to remove a piece of new furniture that was infested with them recently. The redmoor has had no contact with any wood before going in the tank.
If I'm not wrong I need to be slightly more concerned with the presence of them?

That piece of wood is not too big and can easily be removed and soaked if needed. The only thing is will loose is the yogurt/Moss mixture painted on the wood.

Hi all,
If i am reading that correct then that's woodworm?
Probably not actually <"Anobium punctatum">, but yes in the broadest of terms. World-wide there are <"tens of thousands of different beetle larvae"> that feed on wood (as well as some <"caterpillars"> etc).
I have had to remove a piece of new furniture that was infested with them recently.
I believe you can actually <"ignore wood-worm in furniture"> most homes, houses are normally too dry and warm for the larvae to develop.
If I'm not wrong I need to be slightly more concerned with the presence of them?
Not really, when you flood the tank you will kill it/them.

cheers Darrel

Thank you Darrel.

Considering I'm doing a Dry start and humidity is high (all the links you provided state that high humidity is good for them). Then do you think I'm best to just leave the wood where it is and not remove it?

If it were me I'd leave it. As Darrel has said when the tank is flooded...:dead:
Thank you, I've had to open the tank and remove dust from some of the eloecharis which is a bit of a pain tbh. Hopefully they don't make too much dust out of my wood in the next 4-6 weeks

Hi all,
Hopefully they don't make too much dust out of my wood in the next 4-6 weeks
It will probably be a reasonable amount. There isn't a lot of goodness in wood, which means that the organisms that eat it have to process a lot of wood for relatively small nutritional gain. I wouldn't worry, it will look much worse than it really is.

Wood-worn actually only eats the sap wood, and the same is true of most wood-eating organisms, because the heart-wood of a tree is very heavily lignified and impervious to <"nearly all organisms">, other than certain types of fungi.

The reason for this is that an organism has to expend more energy than they get back. It all explain why dead heart wood doesn't <"really add to the bioload">.

cheers Darrel

Ok so I will leave as is now. Probably going to get quite annoyed by the little pile of dust growing on my black sand.
Thanks guys.

Back