WPG for T5 Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tommyleestaples, 6 Jan 2010.

1. tommyleestaples

tommyleestaples Member

I have just bought a Juwel Vision 180 (46 Gallon) aquarium that comes with a 92 cm High Lite unit. It basically uses 2 x 35W T5 bulbs that are supposed to be the same length as T8 bulbs. One of the bulbs is 9000k & the other at 6800k. Both bulbs will have reflectors (If this makes any difference).

I basically want to grow live plants, I will be intially running the lights for 6 hours a day and slowly increasing over time. I will also be dosing with dry fertilizers, pressurized CO2 and will have a nutrient rich soil/substrate.

I want to be able to keep healthy (not fast growth as such) low/medium and would love to be able to grow high light red plants (but dont think this is possible).

I was working on the WPG rule however I understand that this method was based on the old T8/T12 bulbs. However if I am using (Higher intensity) T5 tubes then am I correct in thinking that the WPG rule will not apply.

If this is the case, looking at the level of lighting I have, will I have low/medium or high light for plants.

Would really appreciate your advice.

2. tommyleestaples

tommyleestaples Member

I have just bought a Juwel Vision 180 (46 Gallon) aquarium that comes with a 92 cm High Lite unit. It basically uses 2 x 35W T5 bulbs that are supposed to be the same length as T8 bulbs. One of the bulbs is 9000k & the other at 6800k. Both bulbs will have reflectors (If this makes any difference).

I basically want to grow live plants, I will be intially running the lights for 6 hours a day and slowly increasing over time. I will also be dosing with dry fertilizers, pressurized CO2 and will have a nutrient rich soil/substrate.

I want to be able to keep healthy (not fast growth as such) low/medium and would love to be able to grow high light red plants (but dont think this is possible).

I was working on the WPG rule however I understand that this method was based on the old T8/T12 bulbs. However if I am using (Higher intensity) T5 tubes then am I correct in thinking that the WPG rule will not apply.

If this is the case, looking at the level of lighting I have, will I have low/medium or high light for plants.

Would really appreciate your advice.

3. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

As long as nutrients/flow/co2 are suplied you will be able to grow almost any plant in tanks with T5's the length of the tank.