• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yeast Co2 + Excel

2pods

For some reason Excel was OOS for a while when I set a 36x12x15 with 2x39w T5s up.
So I stuck two of the yeast based bottles (Nutrafin ?) in just to have something.

Now that my Excel has turned up, should I stop the bottles and dose Excel only, or will the recommended dosgage (every second day) be OK with the Nutrafin mix ?

Yes, I'd stop. Yeast CO2 output varies a bit even with two cannisters. You'll most likely just induce BBA. You might want to consider pressurised CO2 on that size tank, due to long term costs of liquid CO2.

On my cube tank I used both to really good effect. I dosed the EasyCarbo at the lower rate to supplement the CO2 produced by the DIY CO2. However as George and others (I think) have shown you can get good results using just Excel/EasyCarbo then the choice is yours really.

2pods said:
So I stuck two of the yeast based bottles (Nutrafin ?) in just to have something.
I used two of the nutrafin kits with my tank too before I moved to pressurised and had good results with most plants.
I used to change one solution on a Sunday and the other on a Wednesday to keep CO2 levels high, don't buy the nutrafin activator sackets, just make your own, its cheap and will last you ages.
But pressurised for me now is the way to go, set it up and let it run for 4 months without any problems, peace of mind hehe ;)

I have a German ebay external reactor + 2Kg FE setup on my main tank (Rio 400), but there is no room even for an external filter on the kitchen tank.

I think the only worry I have is will the combination of Excel every two days plus the two Nutrafin (using the homebrew recipe) bottles be too much for the fish ?

At present there are only six Tiger Barbs in there. All being well, there will be another six in a week on Saturday.

LondonDragon said:
If its too much for the fish you just have to create some surface aggitation or run an air pump during lights off, thats what I did when I run DIY CO2.

I have the filter just "ruffling" the surface.

I'm leaning more towards taking the bottles out, and dosing Excel daily.
Still weighing it up

I'd dose the Excel daily at whatever rate as it doesn't remain in the water indefinitely. Whether you want to do the DIY CO2 too is up to you!

Back