Yes, another riccia question...

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by misscaretaker, 21 Dec 2008.

1. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Hi, a short while ago I got some riccia from hellohefalump (t hanks again!) and I kept it floating to grow for a while. In the meantime I had 'flu so the tank got put on the back burner for a while. Needless to say,the riccia is a substantial mass now and more than I can use at present. Is there any way I can keep it for future use without floating it as it is really annoying watching it getting blasted around the tank!

2. louis_last

louis_last Member

You could grow it terrestrially in a plastic seed tray with some wet capillary matting on a windowsill in a warm room, it will grow pretty quickly and by using the matting instead of soil you can just rip pieces off as and when you need it for a tank without it being filthy, this is a simple version of how I grow all my mosses emersed.

3. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Fantastic, thanks! :D

4. hellohefalump

hellohefalump Member

glad it's doing well! the plants you gave me are doing well too - I now have huge amounts of frogbit and hygro polysperma! The only thing that didn't do well was the bacopa - it died fairly quickly. It must not like my tank.

5. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Glad some of the plants survived the trip! I am overwhelmed with riccia, and most of the other plants are doing well too, thanks!