• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Your Tank vs. Filter Size

325l drilled = Fluval FX5 External (2300lph) Output split between AM1000 and Hydor external heater.
Have a Koralia 4 (4000lph) but probably not going to need it with the above!

Haven't set up yet but have bought for 200ltr

JBL Cristalprofie1500 - standard media but replaced last sponge for purigen

Eheim 2028 - Ehfimech & substrate pro

Hopefully work well

Toad

For my 180 litres I run

Juwel Internal: Upgraded to 1000 lph (ceramic rings, Eheim balls, coarse sponge, fine filter wool)

Eheim Ecco Pro 200: 650 lph (Eheim media, no sponge)

Tetratex EX1200: 1200 lph (default media that comes with filter), with inline Dupla CO2 Reactor S causing 60-65 % drop in flow. Will be changing to Up Atomizer to see if the flow increases for the better.

Koralia nano once in a while if plant mass grows too much...

80 gallon low tech with 75 assorted tetra's,barb's,cory's.
Aquaclear 110.
55 gallon pleco palace ,Six 4to 5 inch pleco's and approx two dozen White cloud minnows.
Eheim 2217.
29 gallon low tech with cardinal Tetra's and German blue ram.
Aquaclear 70.

I have a juwel rio 125l and also using an fx5. This filter with media probably only produces about 1500lph so this is about 12x turnover. Works brilliantly.

Matty1983 said:
I have a juwel rio 125l and also using an fx5. This filter with media probably only produces about 1500lph so this is about 12x turnover. Works brilliantly.

The fx5 was tried and tested against the 2080 both with then eheim media and the fx5 came out with just over 1900 lp/h that's why I picked it lol.

450 litre
Fx5 plus 3000 l/hr powerhead.
Soon to replace powerhead with eheim pro 3 700 rated at 1850 litres an hour

Matty1983 said:

I'm not alone then haha, i have a Koralia 2 to go with that as well.

I don't know about you but my tank has never looked so good since I put this filter on. All of the plants are swaying around now and algae is going away. My tank is a bit of a jungle so I need the extra flow to get through all the plant mass. It is is rated at 2300lph but all filters only produce 75% of what they are rated once full of media, if your lucky!

For my 180 litres I run

Juwel Internal: Upgraded to 1000 lph (ceramic rings, Eheim balls, coarse sponge, fine filter wool)

Eheim Ecco Pro 200: 650 lph (Eheim media, no sponge)

Tetratex EX1200: 1200 lph (default media that comes with filter), with inline Dupla CO2 Reactor S causing 60-65 % drop in flow. Will be changing to Up Atomizer to see if the flow increases for the better.

Koralia nano once in a while if plant mass grows too much...

Niru, do you have all of these filters on one tank :crazy:

Matty1983 said:
I don't know about you but my tank has never looked so good since I put this filter on. All of the plants are swaying around now and algae is going away. My tank is a bit of a jungle so I need the extra flow to get through all the plant mass. It is is rated at 2300lph but all filters only produce 75% of what they are rated once full of media, if your lucky!

Mate i had BBA all over my substrate and plants, its not almost gone and hardly grows back and i put it down to the new filter. When i first got it i thought it might be overkill but it works just as i wanted.

Alastair, 1900lph is still 15x turnover in 125l tank, which is nothing compared to what some people have. George for example has used over 20x turnover I have seen somewhere! :lol:

I know mate I was having problems with BGA and since putting this filter on it seems to be disintegrating! I too thought it might be overkill too but I have the flow on maximum and it is fine, plants are swaying around nicely and the fish play in the outflow all day long! I would turn the flow down if I thought it was too much but no problems at all on full flow!

Matty1983 said:
I know mate I was having problems with BGA and since putting this filter on it seems to be disintegrating! I too thought it might be overkill too but I have the flow on maximum and it is fine, plants are swaying around nicely and the fish play in the outflow all day long! I would turn the flow down if I thought it was too much but no problems at all on full flow!

I could probably deal with more flow in the tank tbh but then again i might be being greedy lol. Iam thinking of doing the mod to the FX5 outflow pipe so that it only comes out of 1 nozzle (so the flow velocity isnt broken down)

I've only had mine on about 3 days now, I have the outlet at the centre of the tank pushing water towards the front and to the sides. I don't think I have one plant now which isn't moving. I also have the standard juwel filter running too :lol:

Mike I've got elbows specifically for that of you want just the one nozzle mate. Can send You one with the diffuser. It's just a 90 degree clear piece that pops in where the original outflows are. Whirlpool time though ha hs. I've also got spray bars for it too

Matt I wasn't making out your flow was too much mate, just saying that the actual flow of the fx5 with media is more than 1500 litres that's all mate.

Anyway back to them thread lol oops

I so missed this thread, a little late but here is mine

180l = Eheim 2075 (eheim media balls, plastic rings, sponges etc) plus eheim 2324 thermofilter
35l = Eheim 2222 (eheim balls and rings, plus sponges)
60l = Eheim 2222 and Eheim 2324 thermofilter (eheim balls and rings, plus sponges)

As an extra comment I don't over fill the media trays i normal aim for 75-80% capacity.

cheers
Andyh

Tank: Jewel Rio 240 (Upgraded from Fluval Duo Deep 180 ltrs two veeks ago).
Filter: Fluval FX5 with standard sponge and all baskets filled with ceramic rings (Fluval biomax). No floss. Upgraded from Fluval 405 to match new tank)

Back