• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Zebra Danio just died this morning.

rca.myworld

Hi All,

I need some advice regarding the fish I have in my Superfish home 80 litres planted tank (Will be posting some pictures in the journal section soon).
I mentioned this in an old thread that I moved my 4 orange platys, 3 other platys, 1 zebra danio plus a shrimp from my small tank into Superfish tank. All of these fish have increased in size so they are big.
Everything is fine. I had some problems with GH and Nitrite as mentioned in my old thread but now everything is Ok.
I then went to Pet@Home and get 3 guppies and 2 cardinal tetras, 1 zebra danio plus 2 more shrimps about more than 2 weeks ago. The fish are all ok, I was worried about cardinal tetras and guppies due to their size but they are all ok.
This morning when I wake up, I went to the aquarium and find both daino's chasing each other, it's actually the new smaller one chasing the big one going through plants and rocks etc. I thought it is unusual but didn't pay much attention to it and feed the fish. I went back after 45 minutes and don't find both dainos, I then went to the side of the tank and noticed both stuck behind the Superfish internal filter trapped.
I urgently take the filter out of its place but sadly the new daino has expired. The old one is a bit larger and is ok. The old daino was originally bought as a pair in June but unfortunately, the mate died for this. Also, this daino is mostly stuck in my old tank as well. It first got stuck in a decoration piece, then got stuck in the breeder box where I put a very aggressive Platty male, this one just go through from the small racks in the side of the plastic breeder box.
I am surprised so I research on the forums and now know that both Cardinal tetras and Zebra dainos should be kept at least in a pair of 6.
I am really angry at the shop as they know I'm new to the hobby but that they never advised.
What should I do?
Am I at capacity? Shall I bring in 4 more cardinal tetras and leave the daino as it is or maybe try again to bring in another mate for this.

Thanks.

both daino's chasing each other
This is typical danio behaviour
Given your current stocking level, I really would not add more danio’s

Unfortunately what you’ve observed with fish getting stuck behind filters, decorations etc isn’t unusual, and the regulatory side of the hobby isn’t going to be changing anything soon - anytime you add something to the tank consider how fish might be trapped
I’d suggest contacting SuperFish Home about the filter concern

Plastic breeder boxes are also often poorly constructed - a “net breeder” is a much safer way to isolate fish and fry

As you’ve discovered, Platys are an excellent source of increasing fish numbers, and as adults they are significant sized fish, 5-7cm and larger depending upon breeding, and much deeper, thicker bodied than cardinal tetras etc (as Swords/Mollies/Platys have been interbred to produce many colours and body/fin variations, size and behaviour can vary) so I’d be careful in terms of additional fish numbers

At this point, I’d likely leave the danio as a single (just watch that it doesn’t harass other fish overmuch - especially the guppies which tend not to be good swimmers, especially males with large tails, or “dumbo/elephant ear” guppy)

The cardinals, I’d be inclined to increase this to 6-8 fish as they’ll be much happier BUT would not add any new fish for a couple weeks (you mention water parameters are sorted but no details)

Guppy, depending upon breeding these may be fairly short lived, I’d not add more guppies to this tank
(unless you completely change out the present livestock mix)

As you mention fish getting much larger since June, I’d consider what/how much you’re feeding
Most fish will eat as much as if offered, Platy and danios can be especially greedy, fast eaters

For now, I recommend
- twice weekly water changes of at least 50%
- reduced daily feeding (very small amount fed more frequently is preferred, but as it’s easy to overfed when following this method, measure out a daily portion at the start of the day and spread this over however many feedings)
- add in a weekly “Fast” day where you don’t feed fish

Last edited:
This is typical danio behaviour
Given your current stocking level, I really would not add more danio’s
I had the feeling about not adding danios. Thanks for the confirmation.
I’d suggest contacting SuperFish Home about the filter concern
Yes but I have removed the white box for Filter housing. I was trying to take off everything so the filter housing is the first thing which I take off. The first thing they will say is why you take off the white housing. Normally fish shouldn't get at the back of a suctioned filter but what I have discover with Danios is that they pretty much get into any cracks of 1-2 cm space.
As you mention fish getting much larger since June, I’d consider what/how much you’re feeding
Most fish will eat as much as if offered, Platy and danios can be especially greedy, fast eaters
I think they are double in size of what they were at P@H. I had to extra feed them in the last tank due to fry but I mostly only feed them what they can eat in 2-3 minutes and I only feed them 2 times however sometimes due to cardinal tetras I feed a bit more as they don't come to the surface and only stay middle of the tank. I have tried feeding while lights are off, engaging guppies and platys on one corner but until now nothing works. One other reason why I feed them every day is they tend to get my carpeting/foreground plants. They normally take out all the carpeting plants and once I start sharing pictures in the Journal you will notice this, it's a low tech setup but still.

I was thinking of moving the cardinal tetras into my smaller tank that has 10 platy fry but 6 of them are the size of tetras and its 28 litres so it might be overcrowded.

For now, I recommend
- twice weekly water changes of at least 50%
- reduced daily feeding (very small amount fed more frequently is preferred, but as it’s easy to overfed when following this method, measure out a daily portion at the start of the day and spread this over however many feedings)
- add in a weekly “Fast” day where you don’t feed fish
I normally do 30% water change every week currently but I will try to do 50% twice, what is 50% twice weekly going to do? I normally just take out a pinch and feed that until they finish or the timer goes off for 2 minutes. I'm mostly feeding them flakes from P@H love fish brand on daily basis, sometimes on 2nd shift, I feed them tubifex dried worms, other times it's either Hikari micro pellets or minced chicken, tuna or spinach or broccoli. Will tetras survive the fast day? I still don't know what they eat as I have never seen them at the surface.
I would try to get another aquarium but Mrs has given me a warning. It's only in June that I got the (first) smaller tank so after getting the Superfish home 80 and spending money on substrate, rocks and plants, I was told no other fish tanks for at least 6 months. :oops:

Cheers

Sorry forgot to tell you this but I change 25% after taking out the dead danio and clean the filter as well.
I put not only PRIME but also a Lovefish filter boost accordingly (I am still without SafeStart)

Will tetras survive the fast day? I still don't know what they eat as I have never seen them at the surface.
They should be fine. Healthy fish can comfortably go without food for a day. Tetras are not surface feeders and will tend to stick to the middle layers or the tank and pick off what floats down. You might try feeding crisps rather than flakes as they sink more quickly, thereby giving surface feeders less time to pinch them all.

Hi @rca.myworld

Personally I would say, do not add anything else to the tank with regards to livestock, if you have female Platies and Guppies then your tank will be overrun very quickly with Fry.

Avoid P@H, research what your fish actually require in terms of space, numbers and espceially diet, why are you feeding your fish minced Chicken 🤔

Would your good lady be prepared to accept a larger tank if you took down the ones you have now? if not, then I would suggest to you that you rehome/gift away/sell all the female live bearers.

Hi @rca.myworld

Personally I would say, do not add anything else to the tank with regards to livestock, if you have female Platies and Guppies then your tank will be overrun very quickly with Fry.
Yes, I have experienced it already with platy Fry. I have 1 male guppy and 2 females so let's see.

Avoid P@H, research what your fish actually require in terms of space, numbers and espceially diet, why are you feeding your fish minced Chicken 🤔
Children were getting frustrated during pandemic/lockdown so I called the nearest store which happened to be P@H. Since then stick with it but now I might need to look around. Not happy with their lack of service and things but It's still my early days.
With regards to minced chicken, I read on some forums that you can mince pretty much any meat and give in small quantities to the fish. They got the ich at one point so I mince garlic and chicken and fish gone crazy for food. I only give them once a week though. Is it not good? Please let me know.

Would your good lady be prepared to accept a larger tank if you took down the ones you have now? if not, then I would suggest to you that you rehome/gift away/sell all the female live bearers.
Unfortunately, the good lady has been patient with me the whole time but the patience is running out :D I got the small aquazone 28 on 1st June 2020 and then had regular visits to P@H to get decorations, plants, food, and fish. Then in July buy Superfish home 80 and then buy rocks, substrate, and plants from the internet. Then buy all accessories like the siphon, water butt, air pump, filter sponge, etc. and some other food. So you can imagine !!!
The other thing is if I take this all down, will I be able to sell it before I get a larger tank. I am thinking of doing 120/160 liters but the cost associated with it at present will be too much and I'm afraid I will be kicked out of my own house by the Good lady :oops:
I think I will probably give away/sell the females.

Bye for now

Hi :)

A very good idea to give away/rehome the female livebearers, that will stop them from dropping Fry every month in your tank. Sooner the better 👍

Platies, Guppies, Mollies etc are predominately algae eaters so do better on a algae/veggie based diet, get some Spirulina flakes. Please don`t give any more minced chicken to the fish. I can give you some really good recipes for minced chicken but strictly for human consumption.

I use this one.

https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/3331/jbl-spirulina

My fish go nuts for this crisp. It can be rubbed into a finer powder for fish with small mouths.

https://www.swelluk.com/pro-colour-...MIwcScif-u6wIVmd_tCh07pgSpEAQYASABEgLgffD_BwE

Last of all, buy your good lady something nice for her putting up with the expence of setting up a tank. :thumbup:
Obviously setting up with any new hobby takes money and getting the children involved and interested in keeping a pet is great and depending on their ages, something that they will remember :)

[QUOTE="rca.myworld, post: 611323, I am thinking of doing 120/160 liters but the cost associated with it at present will be too much and I'm afraid I will be kicked out of my own house by the Good lady :oops:
I think I will probably give away/sell the females.

Bye for now
[/QUOTE]

It's worth looking on ebay/ pre loved and freecycle. You can pick up decent aquariums (plus all the bits and pieces) for a fraction of their retail price or just build up the tank over a few months by looking for bargains on these sites or buying higher quality equipment from people advertising this site...

Back