• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Zebra danios

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I'm considering adding a bit more action to my 125 l.

So far there's 10 pentazona barbs and 12 glowlight danios.

I quite fancy a small shoal of zebra danios, 6 or so. They'll add some interest to the upper levels and are very active, providing a nice contrast to the serene planting style (crypts, ferns, anubias).

Tank temp is set to around 25C. Plenty of flow via 600lph Juwel internal filter (single nozzle, no spray bar.)

Any thoughts welcome.

Should look good George. Nice colours and they should definitely provide movement just below the surface. The only thing i'll add is that Ive heard some say, a tank with too many shoals can look a bit odd.

I bought some Rasbora dorsiocellata, and they are my favourite fish by a mile. Although they are all over the tank, they spend most of the time in the mid or upper water and are full of energy. They constantly chase eachother and go through what appears to be some kind of mating routine. Compared to my never to be seen Cardinals and Embers, they really bring the tank to life. Smaller Rasbora, Microrasbora and Boraras sp are definitely the way ahead for me.

Fred may have a good point about having three separate shoals in 125l, though. Still, I am sure you know what will work.

Dave.

I like Zebra Danios, but maybe thay are little too mainstream. How about Hatchetfish? Their shape would make a nice contrast to your other types.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, but I'm trying to stick with SE Asian plants and fish (except Anubias, of course!) Hatchets would look good though.

My thinking was that zebras are so mainstream, that they're underrated in aquascaping. Probably because they're so fast.

I think the last time I saw them was in Steven Chong's 60cm.

Another option I'm considering is the Vietnamese minnow - http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=608

But I think I'm decided on the zebras TBH.

hi george as requested areply to one of your posting two or three different shoals works brilliantly the y tend to stay in there own groups however you nead a couple of dozen in each shoal for a good effect my only thought the might give you a head ache after a wh ile but the are a delightful fish you may also consider the glow light danio
peter

i had 12 in my rio180 for 3 years. only just lost the last one a month ago. great active fish. just as aeropars said mine zipped around the tank like there was no tomorrow. great to watch but doubtful if they will shoal, mine never did they seem too confident to require it.

they colour up nicely if fed decent food.
zebradanio.jpg

Attachments

• zebradanio.jpg
    zebradanio.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 164
I've always preferred the leapord danio myself as I find the pattern a bit more interesting. Read somwhere that they're just a variation of the zebra though, still the same species. Can't see it myself TBH!

peter said:
hi george as requested areply to one of your posting two or three different shoals works brilliantly the y tend to stay in there own groups however you nead a couple of dozen in each shoal for a good effect my only thought the might give you a head ache after a wh ile but the are a delightful fish you may also consider the glow light danio
peter

Thanks, Peter.

I already have 12 glowlights, as mentioned in my first post. ;)

I love my zebras :) They've got great character. I have 4 leopards in my rio180 aswell and they are so active. I had a few fin nipping problems at first, they'd go after my harlequin rasboras, but its all settled down and they just chase eache other around. I think I have 2 males and 2 females.

My zebras are seemingly the long finned variety. They've lasted through all of my initial learning stages of fish keeping and all the mistakes. I've had them since I started a few years ago, so I expect they'll start to pop their clogs in the comming year :(

Zebra Danios are nice fish, I have Danio Kyathit which is my favourite danio, although it ends to grow a bit larger.

I also have the vietnamese minnow, Tanichthys micagammae, the advantage I can see with this fish is its small size, but maybe Zebra Danios would be a better option as they are faster swimmers.

I know this thread has been going on for a while now, and so you probabky don't want to add any more fish, but a decent sized shoal of Harlequins looks lovely. They really colour up nicely, andzip all around the tank making them fun to watch.

Back