• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Zebra plecs.

Ah these famous plecs,well I'm waiting with baited breath to see if they display any breeding behaviour.Keep us posted.What sort of set up are they in now?

The setup is a 128 litre tank with no substrate or plants, just pleco breeding tubes for zebs, and some drift wood.

Filtration is a Eheim Pro 2 2028 with external JBL heater running around 29c.

I think i may add some RO water to soften the Lincolnshire water here....

Got stuck on Tropical Fish Forum this afternoon on the catfish,plec section.Fascinating,seemed every other thread was about bristlenose babies.I take it the zebras are a whole other kettle of fish?

Goodygumdrops said:
Got stuck on Tropical Fish Forum this afternoon on the catfish,plec section.Fascinating,seemed every other thread was about bristlenose babies.I take it the zebras are a whole other kettle of fish?

Yeah, bristlenose catfish (Ancistrus sp.) will readily breed in a community tank, but there are hundreds of species of catfish that are still awaiting scientific description, hence the L numbers. Zebra's were imported to such and extent that the wild population were in danger of being wiped out so exports were banned and the only way to get hold of them is by captive breeding. This is why they command such a high price.

Back