• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dan's 45p - A Blank Canvas.....

Thanks people. I know drilling is more difficult but I think it will be better aesthetically, plus it means I have fewer pipe joints/ leaking risks?

Dan

I'm enjoying your patient approach! Yes, I think drilling is the way to go otherwise the hoses will tend to flatten where they bend at the edge of the cabinet and restrict flow. You could use elbows instead of course but then a bit more leakage risk but some of the small ADA Gallery tanks are set that way and look v tidy in the videos. (Clear pipes and elbows mind so plenty of maintenance...)

Thanks Chris, I have figured out that patience is definitely beneficial and you need to right kit/ parts to get things right. I think I am going to hold off cutting the cabinet as I think the hoses might be ok as they are. Half the problem is that my lily pipes only have one suction cup on so they twist with the hose pressure. I am going to try and fit another one to them somehow and see if that helps things.

The STC-1000 arrived today, now I need a project box to wire it into.

Also my non-return valves are leaking a bit on the auto-doser. They are pretty cheap ones. Does any one know of any decent non-return valves that will fit airline but stop fluid back flow?

Dan

Non return valves seem ok now, I have fitted CO2 tube to them instead. The only areas leaking now are the plastic connector from the pump to the tube grr.

Dan

I had this with my TMC Easi-Dose that I set up last weekend. The plastic connectors had like a raised barb on them. I found that if I made sure I cut the airline level, pushed on as far as it would go, then zip tied around where the raised barb is it sealed fine. Initially I had zip tied behind the barb around the end of the airline and that leaked.

I have figured out CO2 tube is much better than standard air line. Just need to order some more now to change it all to CO2 tube and hope that works.

Dan

Why not cut 2 small holes that are just big enough to allow the pipe through? I did that and it looked really smart.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Not much going on at the minute but managed to get the STC 1000 into it's project box last night.

IMG_1873_zpssfx7kyvu.jpg

Dan

Sorry for the lack of updates - Now moved house and have been reconnected with the internet!

Everything is in place and ready to go at some point...

Here's a teaser, just me playing with a blue LED strip.

IMG_1896_zpsdilwcacx.jpg
[/URL]

Just need the plants now!

Hope to progress more soon!

Dan

Hi,

Right, been thinking about plants:

IMG_1902_zpsm7pphux8.jpg

Plants:

• On the wood - Anubias nana bonsai, (what is the smallest form of this I can get?)
  • Rotala rotundifolia
  • Bacopa austrilaris
  • Echinodenorus tenellus
  • Micranthemum umbriosum
  • Hydrocortyle verticillata or tripartite especially around the wood and large stone.
Carpet - I Don't know! I don't know if I dare try HC as heard it is difficult? But not sure Eleocharis would work in my scape?

Any other ideas/ thoughts on plants?

Dan

The only problem I had with HC was its tiny roots, easily up rooted by fish, other than that was ok.

Just buy a pot of each, interplant them and let them get on with it.

If the HC seems to be doing well you can always pull the MC.

Thanks guys,

How many pots of the MC/ HC would I need for the tank, imagining that everything is carpeted other than say the back 2" strip of the tank?

Dan

Ordered fewer plants as I think my previous list was too much

• Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo' Tissue Culture
  • Bacopa 'Compact'
  • Anubias Nana 'Mini'
  • Rotala Rotundifolia
  • Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan

Better wire that thermostat up!

Dan

Hardscape is looking fantastic (though those substrate contours will likely change with flow) - your patience at putting this together is impressive :wideyed: :D

I'd be tempted to add in another plant with either color (C albida brown - mine has remained very pink) or leaf shape contrast (Didiplis diandra or Hottonia palustris) but your list looks good :thumbup:

Maybe try pulling tank a bit forward on the cabinet - not quite so close into the corner ...

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! alto I like the Didiplis diandra. It may be a later addition. Haha my patience is more down to finding the time currently has been difficult but the plants have been dispatched and can only pick them up on Saturday from the postal depot (crossing fingers they will be ok for a day or so in the packaging).

I have the tank very far back to reduce the bend on the filter pipes. I may brave drilling the hole in the top of the cabinet but for now I will leave it.

I now need to research on actually running this thing. Any advice on cycling this tank/ setting lighting/ CO2 timings/ water changes. would be most appreciated. I assume the aqua soil gives me plenty of ammonia so I won't need to add anything to the tank to start the cycle. I will post my suggestions later but if anyone can help before hand that would be great!

Dan

Back