• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal First attempt at a Wabi Kusa

Matt Havens

caae2ff9d8b1a2880ed3eef0998c98bf.jpg

Everything ready to go I think?

I am going to prepare the WK balls myself using substrate shown and fert capsules. The substrate is a clay and sphagnum concentrate so maybe I dont need any dried sphagnum moss around the ball too? Not too sure I may grab some of the sphagnum moss which has plagued my lawn and dry at present.

I do not know if we have many other threads on WK but any input I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wabi balls are great fun! You'll really love it. :)

In my experience, coconut fibre works better as an outer layer than sphagnum moss (less likely to fall apart on me). I usually make sphagnum my second layer, and any additives/dirt/rock for weight the third centre layer. This recipe works well for me. I've made a few balls this way (including the one in the nano wabi kusa tank in my journal).

Looking good :) You found nice pieces of wood there.. I made a simular WK setup like the far left one in your pick, simular bowl and wood, bit smaller. Not yet did show it here, it's still developing and growing for months now. But i can tell you, to make a rather large piece of clean wood like that look natural and aged from scratch.. You need a lot of patience it'l take a long time for mosses to grow in and spread to get that aged natural appearance. As an experienced scaper once said to me, rather look in nature for pieces of wood to use in WK which is already aged and covered with mosses etc. And put plants with it, if you want it to look natural and present it in the shortest period of time possible.

I only can say he was right, i'm growing and caring for this WK already for about 5 months now, in a little greenhouse and yet still not feel it is ready it still needs some more time and care.

Thank you guys for the replies! Very inspiring and helpful.

I have gone and had a go at a homemade WK ball. Started with some tropica plant substrate mixed in with some small 'gritty' substrate, opened a fert/root tab up and a small amount of potting soil to make it sticky to mould a ball.

I ended up using the sphagnum moss dry from my garden to wrap around first and then a thin layer on the top of the ball of weeping moss, both tightened around wish some fishing line.

Anyway heres the picture. I will list the plants below.

2296e72f72c7dc5a40d004b5c4dfe56d.jpg

8ed31d3e8ec8acce9f62a44755fb15ca.jpg

Plants:
Lobelia cardinalis 'mini'
Plagiomnium cf. Affine
Ludwigia sp. 'Mini Super Red'
Ludwigia inclinata 'curly'

Sitting it in a seperate bowl with a small amount of water in the bottom under a light and sealed up with cling film.

I plan to place the ball in here.

Using up some more plants.
I have placed tropica soil in the bottom and topped it off with some substrate.

999735ff9480017834911f74ee384eed.jpg

83478aac70a65e7972975769208fdd28.jpg

Plants:
Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Littorella uniflora
Hygrophila 'Araguaia'

Im also trying to grow the leftovers as it were for my tanks so have done some diy woth potting soil and just spraying once twice a day.

2ff24876ce43e36f16d047ce9febabad.jpg

Ho Sorry :banghead: Forgot to ask

What are your plans with that stunning piece of DW--R/H side in the first photo :wideyed: Really an eye catching piece :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks for the comments Greenfinger.

I did not have a large enough bowl for it but I may try to get some moss growing on it under the light like the rest of the plants. How would you go about trying to add other plants to it?

Again thank you for everyones input and help.

Hi Matt,

Please call me Roy :)

The size bowl it was sitting in would be great ;)

With the DW soak it for a week or so. Then chop up some moss and spread a bit here a bit there not to far up at the start. Then let this grow on keeping it damp in the bag with just a gap for air flow.After another week or so then place in a bowl with some water and substrate, stones, gravel. Keeping it damp again then as the wood settles in the moss will grow up to the point of where the wood drys out. Then plant up the substrate keeping up the humidity and the substrate moist In a 8 to 12 weeks it will be looking good ;)

Hi Matt,

Please call me Roy :)

The size bowl it was sitting in would be great ;)

With the DW soak it for a week or so. Then chop up some moss and spread a bit here a bit there not to far up at the start. Then let this grow on keeping it damp in the bag with just a gap for air flow.After another week or so then place in a bowl with some water and substrate, stones, gravel. Keeping it damp again then as the wood settles in the moss will grow up to the point of where the wood drys out. Then plant up the substrate keeping up the humidity and the substrate moist In a 8 to 12 weeks it will be looking good ;)
Thanks Roy,

I will definitely give this a go, should I keep this under lighting too?

I've had a look at some of your own WK's they look great. Do you just keep them in a window when you are not taking photos?

I am going to have a go at another WK ball this afternoon. I will document it this time as I go along.

Hi Matt,Thank you as you can see I have an addiction for W-K .It only started off with one :D

Yes moss the wood up then put it in a bag in the tank with the other W-K. Just leaving a gap for air flow The ones in the tank with film over the top put a couple of small holes in them too this helps to stop mould the light would be better a little higher ;)

My W-K are kept in a two tank like yours One 90cm and a 60cm. I have my WK's out sometimes on nice warm days.Sadly most of the time its to cold:( Even if they get a draft they wilt.

Happy W-K ball making ;)

Hi Matt,Thank you as you can see I have an addiction for W-K .It only started off with one :D

Yes moss the wood up then put it in a bag in the tank with the other W-K. Just leaving a gap for air flow The ones in the tank with film over the top put a couple of small holes in them too this helps to stop mould the light would be better a little higher ;)

My W-K are kept in a two tank like yours One 90cm and a 60cm. I have my WK's out sometimes on nice warm days.Sadly most of the time its to cold:( Even if they get a draft they wilt.

Happy W-K ball making ;)
Hi Roy, and thanks again.

Maybe you will be able to help on this too.

4a8c0f8cc6a276e2834106d849390e1c.jpg

Now all plants are from tissue culture pots. I have some 4 to 5 cm of potting soil. Do I just spray or add some water in to the bottom? This one is going to be kept in the window.

Thanks

Thanks Roy, I have just come back today to this in my DIY propagator.

f6672f1cded77a884d96d9fd821448da.jpg

The Didiplis diandra
fe6fa2ee971893b2d05449c2e0861589.jpg

Pogostemon stellatus
210984e7f11ae065a0d3c44d24608f49.jpg

These seem to be doing better than the above and not 'burnt'.

Front left Ludwigia mini super red, front right Hygrophila Araguaia and at the back is Lobelia cardinalis mini.
2cf744e4aa43e91f72b48ff784f6abe3.jpg

However next post of the WK' progress and these small sweet tubs which are under the light alongside the WK! So some good news.

Plagiomnium Affine and Crypt Pygmaea
54fb2ae5268a78548004a64d26f9d3a4.jpg

And finally Littorella uniflora
7bcd67b44c863da3047070808fd66df4.jpg

Looking good i think. May have to get all my containers off the window and under the light though.

Last edited:
Reactions: tim
Back