• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Oak 4x2x2

willzs

So the tank has finally arrived! A nice AquaOak 4x2x2. Unfortunately we're moving house next month so will have to look at it empty for a few weeks but at least that will give me time to get a few bits ready for it.

Lightning
4x39w T5s

Filtration
2xJBL e1501

Substrate
ADA Amazonia

CO2
JBL pressurised with Gush diffuser

Plants
Not decided yet. I'm tempted to just buy a box of different plants and then go from there? What do people recommend?

Fish
Cardinals and Apistogrammas

I will try and upload a photo of the tank later so at least you can have an idea of the size/layout

I have the 3ft AquaOak and love it!! Id do the box of plants... It would be a surprise and you may end up with something you like you never thought of!!
Unless you have a plan ... Which I don't think you do haha

I have the 3ft AquaOak and love it!! Id do the box of plants... It would be a surprise and you may end up with something you like you never thought of!!
Unless you have a plan ... Which I don't think you do haha

Yea I really like the look of these tanks. Do you have a journal of yours or any photos? I have an idea but not with the plants. Keep looking at different ones online to get some inspiration.

CPRzfR

Empty photo

So unfortunately our move date has been pushed back a month so got a bit longer to wait to get on with the tank. These are my thoughts on plants though:

Alternanthera rosaefolia
Hygrophila polysperma
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Macranthemum umbrosum
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Anubus nana

What do you guys think and how many of each?

Excellent, I have an empty one the same size (or so I thought) which I hope to set up at the end of March. As a newby I am shamelessly going to steal any good idea's I can find.

I was surprised to see you using 39W T5 lamps as I was convinced 54W T5's would fit. So having checked, I found my first mistake (thankfully I have only purchased the tank to date) you have already saved me a load of grief. The internal dimension of my hood is 1060mm and the length of a 54W T5 is 1163.2mm.

Anyway, good luck with the house move and tank scape I shall stay tuned to see how things progress.

Yea I really like the look of these tanks. Do you have a journal of yours or any photos? I have an idea but not with the plants. Keep looking at different ones online to get some inspiration.

Hey yes if you go to the journals area and look for "Jakes New Aquascape in the making" ill add a link when i get home :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juwel 54W tubes are 1047mm. My mate put a Juwel length tube in his aquarium as it fitted the tank width better than the original supplied standard length T8 tube.

Great tank, exciting time...

I suggest that as you have plenty of planning time that you use this to research and think very carefully about plant choice and positioning to accommodate their different lighting requirements, growth speeds, colours and leaf shapes etc. In my opinion it is this level of attention to detail with plant combining that really sets the best scapers apart with the late geat Takashi Amano being the grand master of course.

The ones on your list so far should all work well together and in my experience Ceratopteris is really prolific which will help settle the tank in when first palnted. As for numbers, plant as densely as you can afford from the outset because his will make a huge difference to how well the tank cycles and establishes.

In the meantime it you might also want to seriously consider getting your filters well established before the move and flood up, this will really help things from the outset. You could put a good helping of Amazonia (well known for it's initial ammonia output) in a bucket and run the filters from that bucket adding a bit of fish food daily as well. Also add bacteria either from another old filter if you have one or use a filter starter type product.

Enjoy!

Yea I've been doing lots of research on different plants so hopefully these ones will work well. I've got the filters setup and running on the tank already and am feeding them with a bit of fish food so they should be ready when I set up tank. Not too long to wait now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good. What's that brownish moss you are using??

Back