• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone used Acer wood before?

Just wondering if anyone has used Acer wood before. Someone on another forum said he used it in his tanks and I have some but was nervous about using it. Be great if I can as it's really nice shaped.

Hi all,
Should be fine, the genus Acer are Maples.

The two comments I'd make are that Maple sap tends to contain a lot of sugar (hence "Maple syrup" and the disgusting mess that aphids make if you park your car under sycamore trees), and that it is quite soft wood and these mean that the wood doesn't tend to last very long.

cheers Darrel

I'm always on the lookout at work for wood for scapes and found some really nice pieces yesterday. It's definitely dead but feels weighty. I think it's rhododendron, is that going to be ok in a tank. I know they like acidic soil but wasn't sure if they have any acidicity in themselves that would affect the water ph.

Hi all,
I think it's rhododendron, is that going to be ok in a tank.
If it is long dead like "Edvet"s lovely stump (Azaleas are members of the genus Rhododendron) it should be fine.

If it still has bark on it, I'd strip the bark off and leave it to age for at least 6 months because Rhododendrons leaves and sap are quite toxic.

cheers Darrel

Back