• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA problem since...

Lusitanos67

Seedling
Hi,

First, i'm sorry for my bad english... Some specifications:

Tank specifications: 250L (juwel240)
Lighting: 2 x High-Lite Day 54 Watt, 1047 mm => 7hours/day
1x 18w 590mm => 8.30hours/day (i use them for sunrise and sunset)
CO2: 1.5bps => 20-30ppm
Filtration - eheim pro 3 =>1250L/hours
Fertilisation routine - PPS pro

I have always problem with the BBA on my tank, who are only on roots, or old plant leaves. I have try to up the level of Co2, put hydrogen peroxide directly on BBA, check No3=4mg/L and Po4=0.4mg/L...
I even dipped my roots in bleach , but it has again reappeared above.

I don't know what to do.

Please, i need help.

Last edited:
Phosphate maybe a little high but everyone on here seems to say it as no bearing on algae ...lighting n co2 look correct maybe look at if your over fertilizing or try another fertilizer ?

I prefer to discover what is my problem with this algae, sorry.

The BBA indicates the plants are dying due not enough CO2 or as you dosing PPS Pro I would hazard a guess not enough ferts, probably PO4, meaning can't make use of CO2.

Your lighting is in the "high light" "high tech" area nearly 2W/US Gal, so you really need x10 turn over and get your CO2 spot on (helped by increased flow) and maybe up ferts level.

I assume you are mixing your own ferts, so can control the rations, rather than relying on ready made expensive ferts.

Ok so, my problem is the Co2 / not enough water ciculation around the plants.
Tomorrow, i check every hours the value of ph and Co2 not with the dropchecker but with a tetra test.

it's normal that my bottle of co2 (2kg) is almost empty in 3 months ?

If you look closely to where your CO2 bubbles are going, you will see that most of them go to the surface and get lost. The longer the CO2 bubbles stay in contact with the water the better they can dissolve, good current will help with this also placing your diffuser in the correct place is important.
A bottle being empty in 3 months doesn't tell you if you have or haven't got enough CO2 dissolved in your tank.

the dropchecker but with a tetra test.
Better than nothing, better still is a proper digital pH meter, that is less affected by "other ions" in the water.

My 180l tank gets through 2Kg CO2 in 100 days with green heading to yellow drop checker, so your usage is not excessive.

No body here seems to be mentioning nutrients. Too low nutrient levels cause algae. I wouldnt know if it causes bba specifically though.
PPS pro doesnt always work. It depends on your light levels.
Can low nutrients cause bba? Maybe it can cause it indirectly?

I have great circulation in my tank, but I get BBA just where the flow is faster. So, it is kinda the opposite problem (too much circulation?). How would you suggest to tackle the problem in this case?

I have great circulation in my tank, but I get BBA just where the flow is faster. So, it is kinda the opposite problem (too much circulation?). How would you suggest to tackle the problem in this case?

If it's a high tech tank then increase your CO2 increasing surface movement.

I've used EI before and it worked fine but got also BBA and GSA, so I kept adding phosphorus which the floating plants didn't seem to like very much as they seem to like and my TDS was over 500 after a week ....
Now I'm using PPS pro for a couple of months and floaters are telling me that there are enough nutrients in the water (I have to remove about 25% of them every week), also my BBA is as good as gone (after removing effected leaves and plucking and scraping it off of wood and stones...), but I also lowered the light intensity added more shrimp and SAE. So does low nutrients in a tank cause algae? I would say that it wouldn't help plants to compete. I suggest to throw a few floaters in your tank (even just to test if you have enough nutrients), if they are doing good, you don't have to worry about having or not having enough nutrients in the water.

Sorry for my response late, but i have a another problem, my water is trouble. I prefer to solve it before try to eradicate algae.

If it's a high tech tank then increase your CO2 increasing surface movement.
Thank you for the suggestion, but my Co2 is already at its limits (over 1.3 PH drop, drop checker yellow after just 2 hours lights are on with fish gasping at the surface the last hour of photoperiod) and I do have surface movement a big deal. I can't figure out what is causing this damn BBA that seems to persist!

Back