• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Something new for my 1ft cube

Dantrasy

My 1ft cube has been sitting empty for some time now.

Talking to friend on the weekend, we came up with a figure '8' idea.

So basically, a large circle back-right and small circle front left. The aim is to place a container full of soil inside the circles. the circles will feature rotalas and maybe some ar mini, dhg. The floor of the scape will be a few mm of off-white sand.

Here's the first play

image_zpszb1rps6e.jpg

Looks promising.

Do you buy your stones asnsmall mixed pieces or break them up yourself?

Thanks everyone!

I got a bag of rock fragments, so i didn't have to break up larger rocks.

The rocks are still on the floor. I still need to empty the tank of soil and water.

I'll post pics of new layouts as they happen.

Last edited:
Been a bit distracted, but i have managed to get the tank cleaned. And I have the plants I need. Just need a scape now :dead:

image_zps6bvkvyr6.jpg

could call it dragons mouth, it looks like you're assembling a giant set of dentures!

Plants will be the ones in the pic above, growing in the tubs.

I'm thinking... a dome of sp Green, some ar mini, stauro .... others.

Thanks Greenfinger2!

I picked up the 1ft Cade tank locally. I'm in Perth, Western Australia. Like most things, they are from China. It was imported by Aquascape Design. The tank, stand and light all come together as a package. The light is 2x 24w PL, so you can grow anything.

Looking really good.

It looks like "gold vine" is the Aussie name for for what is called redmoor wood in the UK. You said you haven't used it before; if you aren't already aware, this stuff floats like crazy when dry. For this arrangement, you will probably either need to break the superglue, or give all of the wood a serious 3 hour or more boil (or soak them for several weeks).

You're right lickyjim, they float like cork! So I've done the scape without the gold vine for now. I bundle them to a rock and soak in a bucket for a few weeks.

The tank is very cloudy atm, I'll post a pic once it settles. It's all short stems, so lots of growing in is required for decent height/shape.

Back