• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 45 x 45 open top journal

Trebor127

As promised I will start a journal of my journey of my new aquarium posting pictures as it evolves and I doubt asking advice!

Equipment -

Aquarium - 120cm X 45cm x 45cm optiwhite aquarium with gloss white stand from Abyss, Stockport.

Filtration - 2 Eheim pro 3 2075 with co2 art glass inley and APF glass rear outlet linked up to 2 Diy acrylic spray bars.

Lighting - 2 Ecotech Radion Xr15 freshwater on RMS tank mounts...had to use the rimmed tank spacer to allow my spray bar to pass through the gap. So will have to work out hole spacing and make sure I don't drill where the bar is behind the mount!
c77eaee3e674af1f33a15d9209739ce5.jpg

Heater - Hydor 300w inline heater

Co2 - 2kg fE going to be linked up to a CO2 art pro reg then into 2 Up inline diffuser.

Substrate - ADA amazonian aquasoil

Rocks - unsure what they are, anyone at idea?
9438190abac67e8a8df0ff64348f71f7.jpg

Wood - redmoor root.

As the light mount is in the way of the spray bar it means that the spray bar is very near the top of the aquarium, about 30mm to bottom of tube. will this cause any issue? Can't see causing any if I point it on a slight angle.

Not decided on what plants and fish to keep yet but thinking of a carpet plant around most of the foreground.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

As it is today.

9985d3890dba77424fc9ad5c32cb4392.jpg

Rob

Congrats on light choice & getting this journal going - is it odd that I see Ecotech Radion FW banner at the top of this screen :wideyed:

Moved the post into journals! Still not got the hang of tapatalk....

Hi Mate,

It looks promising. Could you write what do you think about Radion Xr15? I am doing research what light I can use for tank 180x60x60.

I have only seen it briefly in the shop but was pretty impressed. I havent switched it on yet at home but at a guess you may need 3 on a tank that size?

Yep, I even think about 4. I am not sure will it be enough light or not. I am curious how it will work in your tank.
Cheerio ;)

Yep, I even think about 4. I am not sure will it be enough light or not. I am curious how it will work in your tank.
Cheerio ;)

You might talk with Ecotech - depending on tank depth & intensity wanted/needed, you might do well with 3 & the wide angle lens (light is sold with 80* lens, you can switch out to 120* lens ... you may even convince Ecotech to send them out gratis) which you'll likely want for the front to back coverage anyway (depending on your aquascape)

You might talk with Ecotech - depending on tank depth & intensity wanted/needed, you might do well with 3 & the wide angle lens (light is sold with 80* lens, you can switch out to 120* lens ... you may even convince Ecotech to send them out gratis) which you'll likely want for the front to back coverage anyway (depending on your aquascape)
I was told they are sold with 120 degree lenses as standard...

website still claims 80 BUT it certainly may've changed recently (eg, Kessils are now standard with the wide angle)

The shop I bought the Kessils from, had data sheets from Kessil that were not available elsewhere ...

Glassware courtesy of aquarium plant food and co2art
be60d7d0d4ed06a3952fe7e0f9ed3a7b.jpg

Will be making my spray bar this week and finalising my Hardscape. Managed to get the lights mounted a d use the spray bar at same time without it hitting the light mount.

Co2 equipment to be ordered from co2 art as well this week. Probably not many updates for a few weeks as it's ended up costing a lot more than originally planned so having to buy things as I go on.

Rob

Got both of the llights up and running with a black background on the back of the tank. It's looking pretty good!

What plants do you reckon would suit this scape? I'm struggling to choose as there is just that many! I was thinking of a small carpeting plant for the forground up to the rocks and then some sort of 'bushy' plant up in the rear corners.

Consider if you want to start with high plant mass (save $ long term I think as fewer algae issues) or do a dry start method (George's 1 pot Iwagumi) which mean lower initial plant costs, & you can begin now while waiting on your CO2 purchase ... DSM seems to be very effective with the carpeting plants (promotes good root establishment, anyway) & moss on wood/rocks gets thoroughly/strongly attached (chop & smear/paint, with or without yoghurt).

Regardless of your eventual scape, it's always good to have some fast-growing "easy" plants at the start up & maybe even some floaters.
Also realize that the carpets need frequent maintenance to avoid deterioration of lower layers, also "lift off" from the substrate ... any carpet (small leaf or grass) will trap debris so a hungry cleaning crew helps.

I don't recall if you've another tank to borrow media from or establish a filter, but the DSM will also give you time to get a filter going (in theory even just ADA soil in a bin should supply enough ammonia ;) ) & then you can add Amano shrimp at the same time as you flood ...

Been having a look at plants and thinking Hemianthus callitrichoides (cuba) may look good in the foreground. Then use flame moss on parts of the wood tied on with invisible thread.

I'm still undecided for the rear of the tank, I think I fancy a bit of red or purple there. Have you any suggestions?

Ordered 2 XL invitro tubs of 'Cuba' from freshwatershrimp.co.uk

Planning on using a heated propagator to help me save a bit of cash so ordered a desk lamp and a 23w 6500k energy saving bulb. Hopefully should have enough in a month or so after the tank has cycled to plant most of the foreground....

Having recently seen several established HC mats "lift" away from the substrate (ADA display tanks with soil + high light + high CO2), I strongly encourage you to propagate the HC in tank via the dry start method (you can cycle your filter in any bin ;)) as this will produce the strongest rooting of the HC into your substrate and you can do the moss on wood at the same time ... last time I'll say this :oops:
I just couldn't resist one more go :D

For reds & purples, consider what size/shape of leaf you want ... needle, small oval, long ... & sort of red ... pink, bronze, purple - Ludwigia palustris is an easy & fast grower so you might combine this with some of the more "advanced" reds.

Got one side plumbed in... Run out of tube so got some waiting for me at the post office for collection tomorrow.

07605917722054a0d436f053531bcaf1.jpg

To help save a bit of cash I am using a propagator I had in the garage doing nothing so bought a desk lamp and a 23w eco lamp and put it on the window sill.

3e75a84d0e2e00e103195f6ce750c876.jpg

5e35573a89c111462b062b4e2bc25a6b.jpg

Got some 'Cuba' and a 'cryptocoryne walkerii' in there.

Will hopefully be filling it up this week but had a mishap with one of the glass Inlets - dropped it and it smashed into pieces! Grrr. So waiting on a replacement one now.

Back