• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black paint for tank background

For low cost, low odor and ease of removal, my preference is black latex paint.

Latex on glass will readily bubble and separate if moistened. So it's not the best choice if you have a lot of drips or splashes.

Latex adheres to glass poorly if there are any fingerprints or other residue. I clean the surface first with a household window cleaner, then wipe with isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:
Depending on your inlet/outlet of choice, something like these might work as an alternative to suction cups:

Thank you, Wookii. I've got the Aqua Evolution glass tulip set on the way, so probably won't work. However, these do look like they could be useful for doing water changes without making a mess! I have ordered a sample of gloss adhesive vinyl from B&Q, which was only £2.50. So I can see if it will work before buying enough to cover the tank, as well as giving me a bit to play with to practice attaching it and trimming it etc.

Or place the tank 5 to 10 cm away from the wall and paint the wall behind the tank in a preferably color. :) Gives a nice sence of depth and makes the tank look a bit deeper. Also the light spil against the wall, it casts a shadow 2/3 from the bottom up the wall is darker. So it's not only a nice effect in depth but also verticaly rather naturaly looking with the wall turning darker going down to the substrate..

I used chalk paint in a nice rustique old english gray. But any natural color can do. Behind my tank is a very old roughly textured wall, gives it a bit of a clif wall appearance.

That's intergrating the tank into the house decoration. imho a win win over all.. :thumbup:
This is one of the rare advices on internet about painting a wall behind the tank. I was wondering about the effects of painted wall and you couldn't explained it any better. Thank you for this advice. I will paint the wall behind my tank in black.

Back