• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 PH drop

Rbco2

I recently setup my first pressurised co2 system and I’m testing my PH throughout the day. Co2 turns on at 9AM then the lights an hour later both are on for 8hours.
I tested my degassed PH which was 7.6 then again at 10 once the co2 had been on for an hour and the photoperiod was about to start. I was hoping for a drop of 1 in the PH which seems standard from what I’ve researched but my API test kit was reading 6 which is the lowest so I’m not really sure what it is. Out of curiosity I used the high range kit too but that was reading the max of 8.8 I’m very confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Co2 is running at slightly less than 1 bubble per second. The tank is a 60L with a sicce eko space 200 filter on it.
Drop checker has also been green the whole time.

Does the drop checker achieved the required colour before lights on?
Yes it’s going green before the lights turn on. So I’m assuming I have enough co2 going in. My main concern is the massive PH change being harmful to livestock when I eventually add them. And knowing what my PH even is

I got a PH reader pen on the recommendation of someone on UKAPS.
Was pretty easy to calibrate (5 min process) and made creating a PH profile much easier.

I got a PH reader pen on the recommendation of someone on UKAPS.
Was pretty easy to calibrate (5 min process) and made creating a PH profile much easier.
I did look into getting one from Amazon but saw lots of people saying they weren’t very good and constantly needed recalibrating after every use. What one did you end up getting?

I just got whatever the first result on Amazon was, I think it was £10. It came with the two sachets for a single calibration. You do need to get distilled water yourself separately.

I used it to test PH each hour or so a for a few days to dial in co2. I found it was very consistent in the results over those few dozen tests (could see the small decreases and then its return to the same baseline).

I have not used it since as only wanted it for the dial in process (liquid tests every hour are too time consuming, particularly if it takes a few days of attempts).

Edit: I used the distilled water to clean it well after every hourly test (went through two bottles with calibration and careful cleaning).

My main concern is the massive PH change being harmful to livestock when I eventually add them.
I use to have a 1.0pH + drop in 30 mins for a few years and the livestock was fine, you just need to keep an eye on the live stock for any signs of distress and adjust your pH drop to suit the livestock. Having a good tank turnover helps as it ensures there's enough O2 for the initial drop.

I use to have a 1.0pH + drop in 30 mins for a few years and the livestock was fine, you just need to keep an eye on the live stock for any signs of distress and adjust your pH drop to suit the livestock. Having a good tank turnover helps as it ensures there's enough O2 for the initial drop.
My filter is good for 700lph and my tank is only 60 so I should be fine there. Do you have any idea why my test kit would be saying 6 and under and 8.8+

Sounds like a good start, well done for doing the setting up without any fish and well done for double checking you are on the right track.
I would buy a PH pen as this makes things so much easier and then carry on testing and fine tuning for a few more days but, ultimately you will be relying on the drop checker.

The pH pen does need recalibrating, but this is pretty easy to do. The calibration buffer claims it needs to be made up freshly before each calibration is done but this is wrong (people want to sell calibration buffer sachets). I made up some pH 6.8 calibration solution and kept it in a sealed mason jar for at least 6 months whilst using it to periodically calibrate the pH pen over that time, then I ordered some new calibration sachets and made up a fresh pot of pH 6.8 calibration solution. The old and new calibration solutions differed by 0.05 pH units from each other, so not enough to need to have any concerns.

What I would look for (and please let me know if you can find it!) is an inexpensive pH pen that has the calibration adjustment screw on the same side as the pH display. Having to juggle the pH pen in buffer solution trying to look at the display at the same time as messing with trying to get the micro screwdriver attempt to match up with and turn the tiny calibration screw is definitely doing it the hard way. Maybe I'll rig up a mirror or something...?

Back