• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf or Coral Red Pencilfish

Hooky

I plan to get a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides but would like either dwarf or coral red pencils as tankmates. Which of the two tends to stay more to the top region of the tank looking for colour and movement. I have read that male coral reds can be very aggressive towards each other does this still apply if kept in large numbers?
If coral reds are too territorial towards each other I will likely go for dwarfs particularly the more vivid red strain from rio Negro, Brazil.

I know the carol reds are particularly expensive and assume these are WC fish so are TB fish cheaper if I can find someone who breeds these?

I keep a few species of pencilfish but neither of the ones you are looking at. I have a good size group of beckfords pencil 12-15 (was ten but they bred) and they are constantly sparring in the upper waters. No damage is done and I like the interaction of these play fights. They are definitely a top water species and I rarely see them coming down lower than half way.
I also keep equestrian in a quieter system and they are completely different. During the day they use all the tank to hide in but it is a nano built around them. I wouldn't advise such a timid species in a normal tank.
Luckily the two species you have chosen are more like beckfords but perhaps at different extremes of their nature. The corals I have seen are more aggressive and need more space, with the dwarfs being a little less feisty than the beckfords. A lfs had a display with corals in (think 5-6 males in a 3ft, can't remember noticing females) and they were fine together. These were locally bred I think and £12-15 each I think. I was considering them as they were stunning but my tank runs a little too cool for them and the number I would have liked wasn't available, nor was the funds.

Back