• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dying Koi - Swim Disease?

Georgie

Seedling
Hi. My 15 year old Koi is dying I think. He has been upside down on the floor of the pond for two days - motionless. I tried to take him out as I thought he was dead but he isn't yet, totally lifeless though, he managed to swim away and then was on his back at the bottom again, same this morning. I feel it's only a matter of time. I half emptied the pond and re-filled to the top last night, the others (goldfish) are sleeping at the bottom as they should be in this cold weather. I'm not sure what to do about this if anything. Do I just wait until he passes? Should I force feed him some peas, weird I know, but he loves them and I read somewhere it might help or totally stress him even further. I can't bring myself to euthanise him.

Hi. My 15 year old Koi is dying I think. He has been upside down on the floor of the pond for two days - motionless. I tried to take him out as I thought he was dead but he isn't yet, totally lifeless though, he managed to swim away and then was on his back at the bottom again, same this morning. I feel it's only a matter of time. I half emptied the pond and re-filled to the top last night, the others (goldfish) are sleeping at the bottom as they should be in this cold weather. I'm not sure what to do about this if anything. Do I just wait until he passes? Should I force feed him some peas, weird I know, but he loves them and I read somewhere it might help or totally stress him even further. I can't bring myself to euthanise him.
you should nt be feeding below 8c. but if you do .and want to put peas in him. put him in a bowl heat the water up. shell the peas. and feed him them. i heard the same. that peas are good for swim bladder problems
on my thread i have written down some things for you.
it sounds like swim bladder.. like you say its to cold to feed.

you should nt be feeding below 8c. but if you do .and want to put peas in him. put him in a bowl heat the water up. shell the peas. and feed him them. i heard the same. that peas are good for swim bladder problems
on my thread i have written down some things for you.
it sounds like swim bladder.. like you say its to cold to feed.
I believe pees only act as a laxative, so will only help if the swim blader issue is caused by constipation. If there is another cause, pees won't do much.

I believe pees only act as a laxative, so will only help if the swim blader issue is caused by constipation. If there is another cause, pees won't do much.
Agree. Plus its to cold to feed anyway. Unless he scrapes the fish. And then put s samples under a scope. It is all guess work. Going by symptoms. Its lost buoyancy. So either internal bacteria problem. Or failed kidney or liver. Guessing though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back