• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting suggestions for a 15 inch cube

stephen kelly

Seedling
i was going for a 21 x 15 x 15 inch tank, I have now decided to do a 15 inch cube (fits in corner better lol)
can anyone suggest lighting for this please. forgot to say there is no hood. will be open top

stevie

You've given no indication of budget?? Or lighting type? Or lighting levels, low light, high light?

With more information given, people might be more forthcoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I am not wrong this is a 37,5 cm cube (50ish liters). It is a strange measure in cm but I think you have lots of options... depends on if you go high or low lights, and of course your budget.

Cheap suspended fixtures: T8 and PL (I think there is no T5HO smaller than 24w which is 60cm long). Easy for DIY and plenty of fixtures available. You can easily go from low to high light just adding more units (for example 2 PL clipped fixtures: you can chose 9, 13 or 18w)
LED tiles: TMC mini tile 400 suspended or mounted, other TMC tiles would be probably a bit overkill
Classy LED fixtures: ADA Aquasky 361 (if you just reduce a little bit), expensive (around 200€) but this size IMO is not that expensive compared to other LED fixtures or tiles, although not dimmeable (lots of light!). Several chinese copies available: such as Chihiro AquaSky or this one http://socav.com/producto/pantallas-led-mas-was-30-cm/ which has the advantage of being adaptable in size up to 15 cm. But as mentioned, for higher lengths these copies are cheaper and maybe worth it, but for 30-36 cm, ADA AquaSky is on a very similar price range and at least you can go and shout to someone on the LFS if it doesn't work... unless you can speak chinese :)

More information would be necessary if you want more ideas

Jordi

You've given no indication of budget?? Or lighting type? Or lighting levels, low light, high light?

With more information given, people might be more forthcoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am open to suggestions as I am new on here, I don't have a clue lol
I would like led's and have a buget of around £150

If I am not wrong this is a 37,5 cm cube (50ish liters). It is a strange measure in cm but I think you have lots of options... depends on if you go high or low lights, and of course your budget.

Cheap suspended fixtures: T8 and PL (I think there is no T5HO smaller than 24w which is 60cm long). Easy for DIY and plenty of fixtures available. You can easily go from low to high light just adding more units (for example 2 PL clipped fixtures: you can chose 9, 13 or 18w)
LED tiles: TMC mini tile 400 suspended or mounted, other TMC tiles would be probably a bit overkill
Classy LED fixtures: ADA Aquasky 361 (if you just reduce a little bit), expensive (around 200€) but this size IMO is not that expensive compared to other LED fixtures or tiles, although not dimmeable (lots of light!). Several chinese copies available: such as Chihiro AquaSky or this one http://socav.com/producto/pantallas-led-mas-was-30-cm/ which has the advantage of being adaptable in size up to 15 cm. But as mentioned, for higher lengths these copies are cheaper and maybe worth it, but for 30-36 cm, ADA AquaSky is on a very similar price range and at least you can go and shout to someone on the LFS if it doesn't work... unless you can speak chinese :)

More information would be necessary if you want more ideas

Jordi
I have looked at the tmc mini 400 and like the look of it, would I need a controller with this.

This is aligned with your budget (even much cheaper) and it is a LED fixture
Arcadia Classica Stretch Freshwater LED 11w 30cm 10 x LEDs
and extendable to any length between 30 and 45 cm. It should be enough for growing plenty of things, although nothing to do with tmc mini 400 which delivers much more light (IMO you need a controller for this or at least have it suspended. If the tank is low tech I would not definetely chose this one for that volume)
By the way, will it be a carbon enriched tank (Co2 or liquid C)? This is important when you are deciding if you want a sun over your tank or just some light to let the plants grow.

Jordi

Back