• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech co2

yhooly

Is it possible that in a low tech aquarium the flower soil produces co2 and the gravel on top is like a co2 diffuser?
Like here :

Hi all,
Is it possible that in a low tech aquarium the flower soil produces co2 and the gravel on top is like a co2 diffuser?
Like here :
That was <"Diana Walstad's original premise">, and part of the reason for the (mid photoperiod) lighting siesta. Organic matter in the garden soil would be aerobically decomposed, liberating CO2. and the lack of water movement would then help retain the CO2 in the water column.

I'll be honest , I've got a <"lot of time for Diana Walstad">, but I think it is a mad idea and that there are real dangers that low oxygen levels (caused by the extra bioload of the decomposing organic matter) will kill all your livestock.

Having said that I'm not too worried about the tank in the video, it has plenty of root growth, and a lot of the organic matter looks "woody"and woody material doesn't contain much protein or sugar.

cheers Darrel

Back