• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Male apple melanotaenia misbehaving

LMuhlen

I've had 2 male and 2 female apple melanotaenias in my planted tank for a while. They seemed to get along just fine. The males would often showoff to each other, and eventually in the morning they would try to lure the females for some action, but being in a community tank, I've never had a chance to see if there were eggs involved.

During the last 2 months I've been giving my tanks less attention than usual. One day, I came home from a 3 days trip and found one of the males dead. After than, I've noticed the surviving male much more agitated, harassing the females to the point where they hide in the corner. One of the females got some bruises at some point, so I moved her to a quarantine tank to treat her. One week later, I moved her back to the main tank, as she was better already. But the male's behavior hasn't changed.

Should I add another male? Do you think the surviving male killed the other, or did the other male's death trigger this behavior?

It's a 325L tank, lots of plants and places to hide.

Back