• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maxspect Razor 160w advice please

Leaf

Seedling
Hi!
I have just planted my first tank and am running the Maxspect 160w 8000k over a 3ft tank.

Just wanting some idea on the intensity I should be running at while cycling the tank. Currently running at around 60% during the daylight bust of 6 hours, 1 hour ramping up and 1.5 hours ramping down (8.5 hours total) Co2 system running half an hour after lights come on and finishing half an hour before they go off.

Reading around the place I am wondering if 60% is too high for a new tank?
I have had some algae growth due to what I think was an initial photoperiod being too long (12 hours) so I have backed off to the above.

Any help appreciated, if someone has had experience with the Maxspect gear?

1. Your CO2 must be at green drop checker the moment lights come on and plants need it. So start CO2 at least 2 hours before lights on.
2. Your CO2 must be at green drop checker all over the tank as well.
3. You maybe need to start at say 20-30% for only say 4 hours at the start for first couple of weeks to allow plants to "settle in". Also allows much more lee way in CO2 errors whilst you master getting CO2 spot on.
4. Running 60% for 12hours is asking for algae, as you have found out.
5. After a couple of weeks (month or two ?) start increasing light intensity and duration.
6. You can turn CO2 off an hour before lights go off.
7. Remember fertiliser dosing is required at your light level.
8. Remember frequent water changes is also required at your light level.
9. Take it slow at the start, thing go wrong and disaster slowly with lower light levels, giving you more time to correct issues and master CO2.

Beauty! Thanks Ian. Probably got a little excited right out of the box ay..
I was only running 60% for 6 hours but then had a good 3 hours at around 10-20% either side, which in hindsight was a mistake.
Thanks for the tips.
In terms of the algae, I have cleaned the majority but will it dissipate with reduced light or do I need further action you think?

I have cleaned the majority but will it dissipate with reduced light or do I need further action you think?
Probably not by itself.

You need to:
  • Remove as much as you can mechanically, tooth brush, square of filter floss etc
  • On hardscape you can use liquid carbon (or hydrogen peroxide) to kill algae. Remove hardscape from tank and brush on using tooth brush.
  • On hardscape you can't remove (or won't) I have had reasonable success applying liquid carbon to a folded sheet of kitchen towel and holding it underwater pressed against the algae patch.
  • For plants either :
    • Remove from tank and apply, possibly diluted liquid carbon, to leave briefly. Care full as will kill the leaves.
    • Squirt liquid carbon (or hydrogen peroxide) using a syringe to the affected leaves.
    • Remove plant leaves that have a lot of algae on.
If really really bad cover tank with multiple layers of blankets for 3-4 days with lights off, with no peeking and fish feeding. This blackout will kill most algae and if you have fish like Otto's they will hopefully eat the dead algae.

Back