• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need LED advice

Daneland

I have 2X28 W T5s on my Juwel 125 Rio.I will change the tubes soon or late. They cost around £25. Instead of spending £25 ,should I get one of these LED units? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161295179636?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Another thing in my mind is this : I saw in a Polish web site LED tubes which can be attached to existing T5s http://www.zoolight.pl/product-eng-1881-AquaLux-LED-60-PLANT-.html#tabs_58676 Do you know any similar LED tubes which will boost my lightining set up?

You have to remember T5HO tubes as used by Juwel generate a lot of light. Most cheaper LED fixings come no where near the same lumen output. The best so far I have seen and quoting lumens, so you may compare to T5, are the Aqualantis range

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/aquarium-lighting/aquatlantis-led-lighting

They are about 1 1/2 times brighter than T5.

Why do you want to change tubes? The Juwel ones are rated to 80% in 20,000 hours which is years of use a couple of hours a day.

I bought the tank as a second hand,I dont know when the tubes have been replaced.They are not Juwels at least there are no branding on them.I read life span of the tubes are about a year and I assumed they need to be changed.
And simply I want to increase light in the tank

I read life span of the tubes are about a year
This so called "fact" is pushed by people wanting to sell you tubes.

The graph below is typical operating curves of a T5 tube. Notice after 40,000 hours output has only dropped by 15%. 6hours a day for 40,000hours is 18 years before output drops 15%.:). Mind you something else (heaters etc) will fail before that.
TubeLife_zpse7de1419.png

And looking at the LED fixture on Ebay its lumen output is 2160 lumens for 60-80cm. An 85cm T5 HO tube is 3200lumens.

Last edited:
Thanks for you help.They are no branding on the tubes,they must be Arcadia as Juwel's sizes are not so common.Do you think there is a real difference between Arcadia ?

I have used both Arcadia and Juwel T5 tubes and both are fine and produce about the same output. I currently have two Juwel T5 tubes (2 x 35W) and plants grow fine, virtually no algae and pearl away bubbles everywhere. Current tubes are coming up to 2 years old and I cant seen any brightness difference compared to when new.

I have used both Arcadia and Juwel T5 tubes and both are fine and produce about the same output. I currently have two Juwel T5 tubes (2 x 35W) and plants grow fine, virtually no algae and pearl away bubbles everywhere. Current tubes are coming up to 2 years old and I cant seen any brightness difference compared to when new.
Do you think I can use 2 Juwel Hi-lite units together ?!?

I will borrow from LFS and see. But I measured and looks fine. Or I will attach one tube each side with a double sided clips. It might be a better option as I can use longer tubes and they illuminate corners better. All I need is waterproof ends for the tubes.(I thinko_O)

Back