• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Photogrammetry and 3D Printing for Special Habitat Features

Perhaps you could have the branch with a hollow core, and vent slots in the top so you can pump the fogger mist through it and out amongst the plants?

Just thinking out loud, no idea if it would work, just that is could mean no visible kit in the display at all.

Honestly I don't mind some hardware in a setup. I think trying to pass fogger mist through the branch feature would get rather complex and would still show hose and other parts.

However I have considered adding vertical cavities with drain holes to the branch for orchids or other plants requiring more rooting medium.

Quick Instagram update with this setup and the water wave machine...

The plants are growing in pretty nice...

7D0FDF63-979A-494D-AA6A-D24EEE5EBE7D 2.JPG

Here's a 7-month growth update for the branch feature. It took them a while to establish, but the mini Ferns, Begonia, Mosses and Peperomia have covered well.

The branch has sagged about 1" with moisture absorption and the weight of the plants and water. A future version will incorporate longer internal tubular cavities for longer fiberglass pins to minimize deformation.

6-XII-23-epiphyte-I-1024x810.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-VI-1024x768.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-IV-1024x819.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-III-1024x768.jpg

6-XII-23-epiphyte-II-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
I'm picking this project up again.

I have new CAD models for some of the tanks I have in mind. For the sake of planning, this is the best place to start.

I really like that WIO super shallow. It's only four and a half inches deep. I could also alternatively order some 6mm plate glass to build a tank like that for about the same cost and expand the X and Y dimensions even more.

UNS 90B - 900mm X 200mm X 250mm

UNS-90B.jpg

Lifegard 6-gallon Bookshelf - 760mm X 150mm X 200mm

Lifegard-6-gallon.jpg

WIO 60SF - 600mm X 300mm X 120mm

WIO-60SF.jpg

Back