• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possible disease / eggs on GBR fin? Please help !

Got a heater and the temp is now up to 27C - will slowly ramp it up to 30C tomorrow. The one ram started pecking at the other one so I put a divider in the hospital tank - it's transparent so they still hang out next to each other - having a go every now and then

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

M ramirezi are not really "pair bonding" fish in the way that many aquarists expect of them - typically male & female will spawn, forming a temporary pair bond that may last a few weeks, or with some fish through multiple spawns ... but these fish definitely prefer to choose a suitable partner from a group of likely suspects rather than a single male & female fish being placed in the same aquarium
If there's a good sized group at the shop, you may see pairs that have already "formed", if they've selected & cleaned a spawning site & are protecting it against other fish, try to go home with that "pair" - much more likely that they will continue their "pair" behaviour than randomly chosen male & female fish ... but also possible, they will decide to "divorce" ;)

I don't recall your tank dimensions etc, but you may have more success by beginning with a group of these fish ... in a smaller tank, remove the more aggressive fish & return these to the shop etc though sometimes deposing the prime dictator just opens the spot for the next in line :eek:
(I prefer to always keep them in a group - but I also have multiple tanks :oops:)

Thanks for the advice - I would love to get a group of juveniles but that costs a bit of money and here in Dubai we are not allowed to sell animals .

Anyway, so I have treated these two for 1 week with NT Labs white spot treatment with temps at around 29 and when I removed them today that one still had the exact same markings. Kept both in the same hospital tank and the other one shows no signs of whatever this is.

This pic taken today :
e841c5a99054f787dfbce4accf0df326.jpg

Pretty sure this is not white spot. It's is also not spreading in the fish itself nor to other tanks mates ( I had it with the rest for 3 days initially).

Might just end up taking both fish back and 6-8 juveniles

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Back