• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scared Corydoras habrosus

Hi All

About 2 weeks ago I moved my 4 cory's from my old tank to my new tank, 2 weeks in they still nearly spend their whole life hiding and looking pale and washed out. Now your lucky to see one.

Initially, I thought that just give them a week and they will settle

There almost like different fish, previously they were super active.
The New tank is a bit larger I've also swapped from black to white sand and added some ember tetras and ottos. (nothing big or scary)

I've been looking out for a few more as I've heard there better in groups but none of the aquatic shops I have visited has had them in stock.

Do they hate white sand?

Water parameters are about the same.

anyone any ideas?
Corydoras-habrosus-2.jpg

It could be something subtle like slightly less cover to shoot into or slightly brighter lights. Maybe try adding a bit more ground cover or a dark colour piece of slate and see if they like that?

I've been trying to get some since before Christmas and no where has them - even asked a couple of shops to order but they don't come in. Not sure if they are seasonal or what the issue is!

Leaflitter :) Incase psycholigical stress they can hide under it, next to that it provides healthy food source and it releases humic substances, releaving stress, it has antibiotic and antifungal propperties. Anyway it has a lot more it releases into the water column, beneficial for anything that lives in water.. It also works a bit as algicide.. Water staining you get for free with it depending on how much you add. :) Any cory even the perfect healthy ones only will love you for it.. As do Oto's etc..

Hi all,
It could be something subtle like slightly less cover to shoot into or slightly brighter lights.
That would be my guess, possibly coupled with the brighter reflections from the lighter sand.
Leaflitter :) Incase psycholigical stress they can hide under it, next to that it provides healthy food source and it releases humic substances, releaving stress, it has antibiotic and antifungal propperties
Some structural leaf litter is a good idea.

cheers Darrel

You can buy it on ebay - just run a search for Dried Oak Leaf Litter. I am pretty sure the light substrate is making them uncomfortable. I've always found they (mine, at least) prefer a darker substrate and are less skittish when kept that way. Maybe they know they stand out on a light one. They also feel safer in larger groups.

Hi all,
Do I just find an oak tree that's miles away from any pesticide covered fields?
A wood where there are fallen Oak leaves (just take the drier ones from the top of the pile) or Beech hedge in town? The old leaves are shed as the new ones expand.

<"Camellia"> would also do. Have a look at <"Leaves and gravel vacuuming">.

cheers Darrel

Back