• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What plants for an Amazonian Biotope?

InNi2010

Sooner or Later, I'm going to be creating an Amazonian Biotope.
What plants could I add that resembles life in the river?

Here is a list I started to make whilst researching for mine, I would suggest double checking everything as I will do for mine, they are made up from YouTube videos and posts like your one.
  • Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata – Dwarf Sag. ...
  • Bacopa monnieri – Moneywort. ...
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii green – potted or rooted. ...
  • Anubias barteri. ...
  • Echinodorus “Red Flame” Amazon Sword Plant. ...
  • Lloydiella, Creeping Jenny, Lysimachia nummularia. ...
  • Anubias nana narrow leaf.
  • Ludwigia glandulosa
  • Lobelia cardinalis
  • Eleocharis parvula
  • Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
I hope they help you.
Steve.

Here is a list I started to make whilst researching for mine, I would suggest double checking everything as I will do for mine, they are made up from YouTube videos and posts like your one.
  • Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata – Dwarf Sag. ...
  • Bacopa monnieri – Moneywort. ...
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii green – potted or rooted. ...
  • Anubias barteri. ...
  • Echinodorus “Red Flame” Amazon Sword Plant. ...
  • Lloydiella, Creeping Jenny, Lysimachia nummularia. ...
  • Anubias nana narrow leaf.
  • Ludwigia glandulosa
  • Lobelia cardinalis
  • Eleocharis parvula
  • Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
I hope they help you.
Steve.
I'm sorry but your list is far from accurate. Many of these plants come from Africa and Asia, not South America.

It is easier to find a location first and do your research about which plants grow there.

Thanks Guys I’m trying to find a way of deleting the post or editing it to remove the list to save others from miss information.

Sorry @InNi2010
No problem.. It's just that I want plants that look as if they are from the Amazon/ live in similar conditions. I'm pretty sure that there is a edit/delete button somewhere - but no need, I really like the plants you listed!
@Djoko Sauza , I was thinking of the Orinoco River basin, for German Rams, Neon Tetras and Cory Cats.

If you want something that could pass by a stream in the Orinoco you could use these:
  • Myriophillum
  • Cabomba
  • Ludwigia
  • Hydrocotyle
  • Echinodorus
  • Sagittaria
  • Eleocharis
  • Utricularia

And you can use Frogbit, Red root floater or Water Lettuce as floating plants.

If going for a biotope style tank you'll definitely want sand and/or mulmy substrate and/or leaf litter. Small fish like rams and tetras would live close to the banks where there is plenty of cover in the form of fallen branches and roots.

Many Echinodorus varieties are cultivars - selectively bred for colour and shape - so do your research if you want something natural.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any commercially availabe epyphites or mosses you can use.

You could use native water lilies if you could source any (perhaps Hydrocleys nymphoides?). Even though the popular Tiger Lotus Zenkeri Red is not from South America, it is not so different from native species:
1644779544960.png

Might be some ideas you can gain from these previous biotope competition tanks, though they are not typically plant heavy since most of the natural habitats aren’t either:

He has also published a beautiful book, if you have some cash to spare. Quite a lot of cash, but it is very nice.
Orinoco

I almost bought this yesterday, then I saw that they’ve created NFTs.

I don’t have an issue with NFTs, in fact I like them; but I can’t buy the book with crypto so I just think this is a cash making exercise and not truly supporting digital currency.

I’ll buy it eventually, just not on a whim like I was about to 😅

Back