• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worm identification

Koda-

Hey everyone, I've been starting on my first planted tank and today I saw a worm and I can't quite tell which it is. If you guys could help me identify I'd appreciate it. I don't think I see an arrow head and this is the best my crappy phone could do photo wise. If i can get better ones I'll add them. It won't let me post the video.
(Don't mind the snail I spooked him with the flash)
Think this is a harmless little guy or a vicious predator??

Attachments

• 20240410_214810.jpg
    20240410_214810.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
If it's the long thin one in the blue part of the photo, I would say some kind of "earthworm" (like tubifex or blackworms). Then it's not only harmless but also good for the substrate and great fish food. If it's something else you're referring to here's my very unscientific key to aquarium wormy things:

1. Is it barely visible with the naked eye, flattened, and glides over the bottom like a snail, then it's some kind of flatworm. If not go to 2.
1.1 Is the head triangular with two distinct eyespots, then it's a planarian, otherwise some other kind of flatworm (generally smaller too if you can compare the two).

2. Bigger and with a cylindrical cross section, maybe even with some segments showing, then it's probably some kind of insect larvae. If it's very long compared to its girth go to 3.
2.1 Transparent and hovering in mid water = Chaoborus (white mosquito larvae), reddish and sitting on the bottom = Chironomid (red mosquito larvae), then there are many others of course...

3. Long, thin, and with segments showing when watched closely, then you have an annelid.
3.1 Moves in a classic "wormy" way = aquatic "earthworm", moves like a caterpillar = leach.

Chironomids, "earthworms", and most flatworms are completely harmless (and actually beneficial). In a tank with slightly larger fish the only ones I would worry about are larger leaches, and maybe planarians since a lot of them indicate that there's plenty of meaty food around. With fish fry/eggs and shrimp some flatworms, Chaoborus, and leaches can be risky, so watch carefully.

If it's the long thin one in the blue part of the photo, I would say some kind of "earthworm" (like tubifex or blackworms). Then it's not only harmless but also good for the substrate and great fish food. If it's something else you're referring to here's my very unscientific key to aquarium wormy things:

1. Is it barely visible with the naked eye, flattened, and glides over the bottom like a snail, then it's some kind of flatworm. If not go to 2.
1.1 Is the head triangular with two distinct eyespots, then it's a planarian, otherwise some other kind of flatworm (generally smaller too if you can compare the two).

2. Bigger and with a cylindrical cross section, maybe even with some segments showing, then it's probably some kind of insect larvae. If it's very long compared to its girth go to 3.
2.1 Transparent and hovering in mid water = Chaoborus (white mosquito larvae), reddish and sitting on the bottom = Chironomid (red mosquito larvae), then there are many others of course...

3. Long, thin, and with segments showing when watched closely, then you have an annelid.
3.1 Moves in a classic "wormy" way = aquatic "earthworm", moves like a caterpillar = leach.

Chironomids, "earthworms", and most flatworms are completely harmless (and actually beneficial). In a tank with slightly larger fish the only ones I would worry about are larger leaches, and maybe planarians since a lot of them indicate that there's plenty of meaty food around. With fish fry/eggs and shrimp some flatworms, Chaoborus, and leaches can be risky, so watch carefully.
Sorry I should have circled it in the picture I posted! It looks like it's part of the snail in the pic but it's a little worm circled here I have a video of it moving too but I can't post it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411_011037_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411_011037_Gallery.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240411_011302.jpg
    20240411_011302.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
Ah, then I would say some kind of insect larvae, there are pale Chironomids but plenty of others as well. How does it move? Is it a smooth slithering or more rigid movements? I've used imgur to upload videos in the past, might be worth a try?

Ah, then I would say some kind of insect larvae, there are pale Chironomids but plenty of others as well. How does it move? Is it a smooth slithering or more rigid movements? I've used imgur to upload videos in the past, might be worth a try?
1712886089570.png
it isn't a great video but I didn't think to get a better one of it at the time sorry!

The movements are a bit off, but the structures at the front and back still makes me think of insect larvae, probably some kind of dipteran (fly, mosquito, midge or similar). Definitely not a leach or flatworm at least, so I wouldn't worry, still, if you manage to fish it out and get a very clear photo I'll be happy to try and identify it properly.

The movements are a bit off, but the structures at the front and back still makes me think of insect larvae, probably some kind of dipteran (fly, mosquito, midge or similar). Definitely not a leach or flatworm at least, so I wouldn't worry, still, if you manage to fish it out and get a very clear photo I'll be happy to try and identify it properly.
Thank you I appreciate you!! If I see it again I'll see about grabbing it I'm just relieved it doesnt look like a flatworm. I was worried about that one worm that is a death sentence for shrimp

Back