• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Goldfish-proof plants (Coldwater aquarium)

tomw

Seedling
Hi all,

This is a spin-off topic from the discussion in the 'Pumps & filters' secion of the forum, where the thread has spread from filtration to planting. So I though I would post the topic here in the plant section where it is easier to find.

You can read the original discussion here, if you are interested in my experimental a self-cleaning planted Goldfish aquarium:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17348&p=179777#p179777

Goldfish-proof planting
I am attempting to create the best planted Goldfish aquarium I can manage. Anyone who has kept goldfish in the past will know that they will eat most plant-life in the aquarium, making a real mess in the process! This thread will describe my attempts to create a planted aquarium, using the few plant species that Goldfish will not eat...

So far I have added a couple of large Microsorum ferns, and an Anubia tied to a piece of bogwood. I am lucky to have the 'Goldfish Bowl' as my LFS, just down the road from me in Oxford, and they have an extremely good variety of plants on offer. I want for large 'mature' plants instead of cuttings, as last time I planted anything in this tank the Goldfish destroyed the smallest plants first. I think that starting with large plants will give the flora the best chance of a head-start against the interfering fauna.

For reference, this is a 240 litre Juwel Rio tank, with 2xT5 grow-tubes.

The Bogwood - I chose a piece of bogwood that would stand on a couple of isolated 'points' underneath, to try and avoid creating any sheltered areas where the fish-mess might get trapped underneath and avoid the filtration system.

IMG_0870.jpg

I also bought a Water Caltrop (Trapa natans) as it looked interesting. These are commonly known as 'Water Chestunts':

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Weather or not the Water Caltrop withstands the inquisitive Goldfish remains to be seen. Apparently it should send down a long tap-root to search for the substrate, so I'll have to think about somewhere for this to root in the future. However, as it is, it provides a bit of shade for the Anubia below, and the fish seem to like the cover as well.

CO2 system
I have also started to install my DIY pressurised CO2 system, based around a Sodastream bottle. (The system is not yet up and running on this tank). I have posted this in the 'CO2' section, and you can follow the topic here:
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17456

More progress next week - Cheers all!

TomW.

Back